Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Sound System Cutting Out

Kind of a weird one for you experts. 2011 X55, after listening to the ipod for a while, all three starboard speakers go out, the 3 port and 4 tower all continue to work. Thought it was the cord from the idpod, nope, does it with other brand new cords. When the 3 speakers on the SB side go out, I can turn off the system, then back on, then everything works for a while longer. Any thoughts? Checked for wires, amp seemed a little warm but not hot. No clue how to fix this.
Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I just had this happen and replaced the head unit for nothing. Mine started losing the right speakers then lefts then I would hear the tower speakers start doing the same. It did it with the iPod,CD and radio so I thought I had a bad head unit. Replaced it with a CMD8 and had the same problem. Started watching the amps while the problem was happening and noticed they would dim or blink quickly. I switched the battery switch from on to both and the problem went away.

So what I found was that I had switched the battery that I use to power the boat lift to the battery was the sound system was attached to. Apparently the lift was draining the battery and with the sporadic use we give the boat the battery wasn't able to charge up after a day on the lake and the draw from hoisting the boat out of the water. So l took the battery home, charged it up and put the lift plug back on the starting battery. Not a problem since.

Sounds like a low battery could be your problem also. I'd take them out, get a good charge on them and see where you end up from there. Or you could spend a bunch of money like I did and then charge the batteries.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I just had this happen and replaced the head unit for nothing. Mine started losing the right speakers then lefts then I would hear the tower speakers start doing the same. It did it with the iPod,CD and radio so I thought I had a bad head unit. Replaced it with a CMD8 and had the same problem. Started watching the amps while the problem was happening and noticed they would dim or blink quickly. I switched the battery switch from on to both and the problem went away.

So what I found was that I had switched the battery that I use to power the boat lift to the battery was the sound system was attached to. Apparently the lift was draining the battery and with the sporadic use we give the boat the battery wasn't able to charge up after a day on the lake and the draw from hoisting the boat out of the water. So l took the battery home, charged it up and put the lift plug back on the starting battery. Not a problem since.

Sounds like a low battery could be your problem also. I'd take them out, get a good charge on them and see where you end up from there. Or you could spend a bunch of money like I did and then charge the batteries.
Well check that out, thank you very much for the answer.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-Star
Yep, I had the same issue on my 2009 star... the issue was resolved once the batteries were charged up. I figured it out since the speakers worked fine while the engine was running, so I knew it was an electrical/power problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
I have/had same issue that started on a 2009 x-14 after tower speakers and second amp installed. I believe it is something wrong with one Ofmy cables between the amp and head unit. I can wiggle the cable/connection at times and fix the problem. I believe it is a short/bad cable and I plan to replace.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie05 View Post
Kind of a weird one for you experts. 2011 X55, after listening to the ipod for a while, all three starboard speakers go out, the 3 port and 4 tower all continue to work. Thought it was the cord from the idpod, nope, does it with other brand new cords. When the 3 speakers on the SB side go out, I can turn off the system, then back on, then everything works for a while longer. Any thoughts? Checked for wires, amp seemed a little warm but not hot. No clue how to fix this.
Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Reverse the right and left channel input connections. If it switches channels, it could be the cables or the head unit. If it remains, it's probably a shorted speaker wire or bad speaker causing the amp to shut down.

If you have a multi-meter, remove the speaker wires from the amp on the channel(s) that are cutting out, so you can measure the resistance. If you see one that's lower than the others, leave that one off and try it again- it may be due to a wire for one of the tower speakers being cut or pinched.