Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well yesterday attempted to take my mother and stepfather out. Thought before I left, "the boat always has run great -- no need to run it in the driveway before leaving." Big mistake. Got there 7 am, boat wouldn't start. Got it started finally, and then it wouldn't idle. Put it back on the trailer and took it home. Left the key in the run position by mistake. Melted some epoxy resin out of the coil and onto the manifold. Sooo need a new coil, and probably need to clean the carb and throw a rebuild kit at it. Also need a new ballast resistor, since the previous owner bypassed it and one post is loose. That is probably how the coil got fried. Aargh. Oh well. Even though I was "that guy" at the ramp, at least it was 7 am and the ramp was quiet!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Did you kill the hair dryer?
No....went the old heat gun on low route. Used a plastic scaper and a dulled razor blade. Registration numbers and pinstripes were a breeze. Baked on MC, prostar and transom decal took some work.

What make the gel "raise" up where the decals are?

I've only done the left side, so when I was doing my oil leak test run yesterday, I'm sure I got some weird looks--no decals or wax on left side or transom, right side full decals/wax, cruising without the motor box or back seat...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Well yesterday attempted to take my mother and stepfather out. Thought before I left, "the boat always has run great -- no need to run it in the driveway before leaving." Big mistake. Got there 7 am, boat wouldn't start. Got it started finally, and then it wouldn't idle. Put it back on the trailer and took it home. Left the key in the run position by mistake. Melted some epoxy resin out of the coil and onto the manifold. Sooo need a new coil, and probably need to clean the carb and throw a rebuild kit at it. Also need a new ballast resistor, since the previous owner bypassed it and one post is loose. That is probably how the coil got fried. Aargh. Oh well. Even though I was "that guy" at the ramp, at least it was 7 am and the ramp was quiet!

Been having some problems with my "new" boat also, so I know how you feel. First trip out would not crank at landing, second trip overheating issue and towed back in, third trip was a smoking hazard from all the leaking/burning oil, fourth trip out narrowed leak to crankcase pressure, but stuck at what to do about that. My wife and girls will not go with me anymore until I can make a round trip and come back with no issues. I tell them that I stay out a little longer each time though. Got to count for something.

I never want to be "that guy" and show up on YouTube or a similar thread on here...Has me paranoid...wait maybe I am that guy....
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
No....went the old heat gun on low route. Used a plastic scaper and a dulled razor blade. Registration numbers and pinstripes were a breeze. Baked on MC, prostar and transom decal took some work.

What make the gel "raise" up where the decals are?

I've only done the left side, so when I was doing my oil leak test run yesterday, I'm sure I got some weird looks--no decals or wax on left side or transom, right side full decals/wax, cruising without the motor box or back seat...
Haven't experienced that. I scraped part of the first sticker off, then perfected my technique with just some hair dryer heat to soften them and peeled carefully keeping the heat on as I peel. Takes a little more patience, but was easier and quicker in the long run.......except for needing to cool the fingers down from time to time. Your sun is a little more brutal than here In MN so your experience may vary.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
Repainted my Corvette logos

The red was fading and mostly gone. Bugged me every time I opened the cowl. Now I am happier...
It's the little things...until the BIG things break!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."

Last edited by Jeffer; 07-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
The red was fading and mostly gone. Bugged me every time I opened the cowl. Now I am happier...
It's the little things...until the BIG things break!
looks awesome...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Trailer refurbish 90% complete - break refurbish 100% new drums.. old ones were a bit out of round causing some problems.... and started the incandescent to LED conversion on lights... hoping to get side marker lights this winter as b-day gifts from kids...
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Nice Mike. I like the LED tail lights. If I used my trailer ever I would put more money into it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Trailer refurbish 90% complete - break refurbish 100% new drums.. old ones were a bit out of round causing some problems.... and started the incandescent to LED conversion on lights... hoping to get side marker lights this winter as b-day gifts from kids...
Mike, your trailer looks much better, except........

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Which lights did you use? I want to upgrade my lights prompted by a failed reverse light... been searching google and I still can't find a LED reverse light. (optitronics at ~$13 a pop is the brand I was leaning towards)

Where did you get your lights, did you notice if they sold a reverse light?

Thanks.
B