Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 205
boat cover question

I have a 1997 mc prostar 205. this is my first full summer with it. I pull boat 4 1/2 hours down to lake. It has the original Mastercraft cover which is in good shape. My questions: Should i tow with cover on it? Will straps mark up paint/body? Should I replace it with a rain proof one since it stays outside from late May till end of September?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
General consensus usually points to pulling the cover off for towing. You can re-waterproof the cover with several different products, but I'll let others point out which products those are.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by moski View Post
I have a 1997 mc prostar 205. this is my first full summer with it. I pull boat 4 1/2 hours down to lake. It has the original Mastercraft cover which is in good shape. My questions: Should i tow with cover on it? Will straps mark up paint/body? Should I replace it with a rain proof one since it stays outside from late May till end of September?
I say no.

Here's a test for you: let the wife drive the tow vehicle the 4.5 hours and you stick your head out the window the entire way. ..... see how the cover would feel?

I lost one cover to towing many years back.
Didn't take Buckwheat long to come to a conclusion --> no

The waterproofing is up to you. All depends on how dry you want to keep the boat. Biggest thing I'd be concerned is mold/mildew.

Just kidding you about hanging your head out the window. Please do not try this at home....especially just because I say so....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
If the boat sits outside, seriously think about a waterline length cover made of Sunbrella. They are spendy, but your boat breathes while covered. The covers with sewn in vents do not breathe, and can trap moisture (mildew on the inside). As far as trailering is concerned, go topless whenever possible.:0
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54141
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
TT Regular

Thanks Cloaked. haha. Thats what i thought too guys is to tow it w/o the cover. Zsqure: that Sunbrella cover your talking about. So get a Sunbrella cover that goes down the sides of the boat to the water line???? I assume that will protect the sides of boat from the sun???? This is my first boat and i want to take care of it, so i appologize in advance...i am a little anal and like to keep things nice. My dad's buddy said its a mastercract cover and he advised me to tow with it, but my gut kept telling me to tow without cover.Where is a good place to buy? I know of a place here in St. Louis that does marine covers, but not sure if they do Sunbrella brand. Ill call them and ask.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Regular

i have been to this place once. They repaired 2 straps for me. click on this site: http://www.patscustomcovers.com/gallery.htm 2 rows down you will see a Prostar 205 (same as my boat, color and everything). Nice cover that also that also has a cover for the teak. THis looks like a cover you can tow with maybe???? what do you guys think.

I like Zqure idea of getting a cover that goes down the sides of the boat.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
My boat came with a cover that is coated with "plastic" or vinyl on the outside. It has 4 vents sewn into it for air circulation because it does not "breathe". The underside of the cover is mildew stained, if I replace the cover and I plan to keep it outside, it will be with the sunbrella material. A few guys on here have the waterline fit cover and it will protect the sides of the hull from the sun while on the trailer. It may be wet if you keep it in the water. There are covers made to be trailerable, I believe if you trailer while covered you will not get the airflow throughout the boat and bilge that helps dry it out. My boat hogs up my garage so I do not cover it unless it is raining, while being towed or sitting in the driveway.
The cover shown might be able to be towed with, it looks like it snaps on vs the straps, and it has a cinch cord around its rub rail. I might be concerned with the swim platform section acting like a parachute. Also this material may not breathe as evidenced by the poles with the vents built into the tops. Someone makes a solar pole with a fan in it for circulation.
If the boat gets "rode hard" just don't put it o bed "wet" you don't want a sauna under the cover.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 w/Tower
Skiboatcovers.com

not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
My boat came with a cover that is coated with "plastic" or vinyl on the outside. It has 4 vents sewn into it for air circulation because it does not "breathe". The underside of the cover is mildew stained, if I replace the cover and I plan to keep it outside, it will be with the sunbrella material. A few guys on here have the waterline fit cover and it will protect the sides of the hull from the sun while on the trailer. It may be wet if you keep it in the water. There are covers made to be trailerable, I believe if you trailer while covered you will not get the airflow throughout the boat and bilge that helps dry it out. My boat hogs up my garage so I do not cover it unless it is raining, while being towed or sitting in the driveway.
The cover shown might be able to be towed with, it looks like it snaps on vs the straps, and it has a cinch cord around its rub rail. I might be concerned with the swim platform section acting like a parachute. Also this material may not breathe as evidenced by the poles with the vents built into the tops. Someone makes a solar pole with a fan in it for circulation.
If the boat gets "rode hard" just don't put it o bed "wet" you don't want a sauna under the cover.

Thank you Mdskier: i went to website skiboatcovers.com. http://skiboatcovers.thecanvasshoppe...-cover-mc1257x I believe this is what Zsqure is referring too. I really and greatly appreciate this helpful tip. Its expensive, but i want to protect my toy and believe this is the ticket. If anybody has this Sunbrella cover that covers down to the waterline it would be good to see some pictures and hear from you. Thank you guys for the advice.

Thank you i did not notice the vents on that picture. I also was not crazy of the idea of putting snaps under the rub rail.