Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
too bad about the Alpine discontinuation. I had purchased A WS420 and sold it after seeing how many long RCA jacks ( complication and potential noise induction) and the potential of drunk people blowing up my system buy playing with the controls on it. I like the dual zone control of the Alpine but I dont use it as much as I thought I would. The WS420 also works as a line driver which is a feature I miss.
Good sound starts at the head unit/source, it seems less important now though with every body playing MP3 thru an ipod, Still I liked the Alpine sound better than the Clarion.
Agree with you on this one. I originally bought the Alpine because one I am a huge fan of Alpine, but more importantly I wanted dual zone control. After installing it I played around with the dual zone control, but found over time that I stopped making use of it altogether. The gains on my amps are set in such a way that from a volume output perspective they are relatively in unison so I can turn everything up/down all at once and not have anything outweighing the others. Never really find the need to turn up the towers and not the in-boats or vice versa...but I can if I want I guess?! Only dislike about the 118 is the ipod controls (mainly that you cant control directly from the ipod, you have to use the clumsy head unit controls) and the key fob remote is horrible, but it seems that all other manufacturers have the same issue from what I've read (fobs seem to be made by the same manufacturer).
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
I dunno. The guy at Alpine told me in no uncertain terms that they were discontinuing all marine products. He said they could be back in '14, but that did not sound very promising to me.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft X2 2004 350 MCX
I just installed a WS420 and it is great. I have a Fusion head unit which has 3 zones, I had the tower on a different zone to the cabin speakers, great control. However last season i installed HSE Revolution speed based volume control, also a great unit, but it only has 1 output to the amps. Therefore I lost my separate zone functionality as I had to drive the HSE with 1 zone and split its output across 3 amps. Now with the WS420, I have regained functionality as well as having the option of fine tuning the sound, without having my head under the observers seat. Awesome unit.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallees View Post
I just installed a WS420 and it is great. I have a Fusion head unit which has 3 zones, I had the tower on a different zone to the cabin speakers, great control. However last season i installed HSE Revolution speed based volume control, also a great unit, but it only has 1 output to the amps. Therefore I lost my separate zone functionality as I had to drive the HSE with 1 zone and split its output across 3 amps. Now with the WS420, I have regained functionality as well as having the option of fine tuning the sound, without having my head under the observers seat. Awesome unit.
Awesome, can i be DJ in your boat?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft X2 2004 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-mantrix View Post
Awesome, can i be DJ in your boat?
Of course Ray, that goes without saying.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Yup alpine has discontinued their marine line. There has been no announcement of it being gone forever. My local retailer who is all JL and Alpine said they are pretty much redoing the entire marine line from scratch. He's not certain it "will" come back, bug was told they are very optimistic.

The huge downside is there were the only marine head unit with 4v pre amps which I absolutely loved.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
The huge downside is there were the only marine head unit with 4v pre amps which I absolutely loved.
Hasn't hit the streets yet, but Clarion's CMD9 specs show it having 4V Pre Outs. I love Alpine stuff, but Clarion's remotes are easier to retro fit into the older Clarion remote holes in my boat.

Last edited by rgardjr1; 06-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2012 X-25
I love the 420 controller. Very easy to tweak inboat vs tower on the fly... I also have the Rev10's and its an awesome combo.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Yup alpine has discontinued their marine line. There has been no announcement of it being gone forever. My local retailer who is all JL and Alpine said they are pretty much redoing the entire marine line from scratch. He's not certain it "will" come back, bug was told they are very optimistic.

You're talking about the cda-9886m right? I think the cda-118m only has 2v pre- outs.

As for jigster's comment about the iPod control, I guess you could use a dumb iPod cable, ie iPod plug to RCA and plug it into the RCA aux in, like a std mp3 player. Then you could control the music from the iPod...but not vice versa.