Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991
91 Prostar, Salty DOG!

Aloha everyone! To start, thank you everyone for all of the awesome info/links/pictures and encouragement from everyone on this site. The project that has presented itself to me will need plenty of all of these...
This boat has not been purchased yet, but I am thinking it could be a fun and rewarding project. I would really like some second opinions from the guys here that know their stuff about bringing something like this back from the dead. I am not afraid of hard work and am very resourceful and have read every thread on here about restoring projects so I have an idea of what goes into something like this. This thing is the worst looking of any ive seen, but there is not a lot of selection here in Hawaii as far as great ski/wakeboard boats, and if there is something in decent shape they want a small fortune for it (everything needs to be brought over by container ship being we are 2300 miles away from the nearest land).
So the boat has been sitting like this for two years, half under a roof so you can imagine the water thats drained off into it, the owner now doesnt seem like he knows much about its history, in fact I dont think he has even seen the boat in a long time because when we spoke on the phone he said all it needs is a new engine, you can see by the pictures that is not the case.. We have not met yet only by phone and he told me where I could go to look at it and see if its something id be interested in. Hes asking 2200 as is where is with no trailer. I was excited until I dug into her a little bit, who knows what else is wrong with it if I do decide to really tear into it.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
TT Newbie

So whatta ya think boys, does she deserve a second chance? If so, what is a fair price to offer without insulting the guy, it is after all, a Mastercraft I was thinking no more than $1000.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
TT Newbie

Everyone here loves to see pics including myself, but these you might not want to see....
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Yikes! that needs help! not sure if it is worth 2200. but would be awesome to see her brought back to life!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Given the fact that it is in Hawaii it will be worth more than here on the mainland. If you can work down on that price some, it could be workable as long as your intention is to make it a serviceable ski boat and not a concurs restoration. It appears as though everything that moves will be need to be replaced. I would think that a used marinized engine could be obtained locally. You would need to be capable of handling the majority of work yourself. It would be an interesting project.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
$500 and you get a free meal with the purchase.... $2200 is in his dreams....

Personally, I'd ask him to pay me $1000 to take it off his hands. I like to see restorations as well as the next guy but that is a money pit of a rebuild. You'll come out better buying a decent used boat for $8K or less, have it shipped to you, and still come out ahead, unless you like the work for pleasure. Lots of costly work there.

Any fresh water lakes over there?

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Honestly... look for a $8-9k skiboat in California and have Matson ship it over. You will be money ahead.

$1000 buy-in
$2500 motor (depending on current condition)
$1500 transmission (depending on current condition)
$2000 interior (depending on complexity of replacement)
$3000 trailer (probably need to be shipped over or you could find something over there and retrofit)
$1000 misc.

These are all mainland prices. I don't even know what the price or quality of these services would be over there, but the quality at those prices over on the mainland would be marginal at best.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
$500 and you get a free meal with the purchase.... $2200 is in his dreams....

Personally, I'd ask him to pay me $1000 to take it off his hands. I like to see restorations as well as the next guy but that is a money pit of a rebuild. You'll come out better buying a decent used boat for $8K or less, have it shipped to you, and still come out ahead, unless you like the work for pleasure. Lots of costly work there.

Any fresh water lakes over there?

$0.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Honestly... look for a $8-9k skiboat in California and have Matson ship it over. You will be money ahead.

$1000 buy-in
$2500 motor (depending on current condition)
$1500 transmission (depending on current condition)
$2000 interior (depending on complexity of replacement)
$3000 trailer (probably need to be shipped over or you could find something over there and retrofit)
$1000 misc.

These are all mainland prices. I don't even know what the price or quality of these services would be over there, but the quality at those prices over on the mainland would be marginal at best.
Sodar and Cloaked are on the money here. I'd move on.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Inboards were not designed for salt water....they fail, or they fail big.

That poor boat failed big.

Here is the perfect solution for a salt water tow boat.

Outboards enjoy salt water.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...oot-200-350281
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Wow, that's an ambitious project. The good news is the gas tank looks good. Everything else will have to go.