Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 ProStar 214
anyone ski on Old Hickory Lake by Nashville?

Does anyone on this board boat on Old Hickory Lake near Nashville?
We are considering moving to TN and this is near where we want to be. I'm looking for info about it - wondering if it would be a good spot for us.

We are thinking of renting a house for a week in August to come check it out. Would love to know if there is a club, course, etc on this lake.
It would make moving much more attractive if this is a good lake for us. And if there was a club we would be able to meet others more quickly.
Thanks for any input...
Eileen
Old 06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X45 and 89 barefoot 190
I live on and ski the river (Cumberland River/Cheatham Lake) it is below the Old Hickory Dam to Cheatham Dam. I've only skied Old Hickory a few times during the week. There was a ski course near the Douglas Bend boat ramp but that was 10yrs ago. I went out with my mother in law last summer and there was alot of boat traffic and the water was rough. They dry dock their boat a Drakes Creek Marina. My wife is actually out their today with her mom. They are hanging out at 2 foot which is where everyone hangs out to party. She said there are several MC's out there.

I have 2 friends that live on Old Hickory and they paid 7 figures. You can find homes with docks for 200 to 300K with docks but they will be old homes built in the 60's or 70's and would need updates. Most lots that are dock permittable will be close to 100K or more.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Center-Hill Lake

Come to Center-Hill Lake it's about an hour east of Nashville. Beautiful Lake. You can eat at Hurricane Marina, but call ahead because I'm not sure if they are open every night, but I know they are Friday-Sunday night and it will be packed.

Also another good lake around Nashville but not in Nashville is Tim's Ford. They have two Marina's on the lake. Holiday has a nice restaurant there too. Great place to rent a house there because they do allow docks on your lot unlike Center-Hill which only has a hand full of docks at peoples houses. Sam Hatfield Realty is a good place to rent from for Tim's Ford. We've stayed in a couple of different ones there and all were nice.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the info- those two lakes do look really nice and would be great for a vacation. The main reason we are going there is to decide if we want to live on this lake and it sounds like these other 2 lakes are not good options for that- they are more vacation spots.

Bummer about the boat traffic and rough water on Old Hickory Lake...maybe I am hoping for too much. We have done houseboating on Lake Cumberland and there are so many fingers you can always find good waterthere so I was hoping this lake would be similar.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X45 and 89 barefoot 190
I don't want to bumm you out. It is a nice lake and there are alot of people that ski on Old Hickory and love it but I just prefer the river. Another thing about Old Hickory is you have to be aware of where the channel is or you can be in shallow water very quickly.
Are you relocating for work or wanting to retire on a lake somewhere? Do you have children that would be attending schools? The schools zones would be a major part of my decision in that area unless you will be using private schools.
If you haven't spoke to an agent yet Kari Powell is who my friend used (link below)
http://www.kw.com/kw/agent/x324121
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

My brother and I have a company and we can live anywhere we want so we want to relocated to get out of Illinois and this seems like a nice area. We want to be on the water. Yes, we have kids who would be in school and it seems like the only option for that is private schools. We both thought Hendersonville looks nice- but we are flexible if there is another town that would be better.

I'm glad you mention the shallow water- i don't want to damage my boat so i will make sure i leave the depth meter on and watch it. I was hoping to find something that the kids could swim in safely and not sure how fast the river moves.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
We have a house on Old Hickory and are members of the ski club. There is one slalom course on the lake that the club maintains. I'm happy to assist with your questions/visit.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
TT Regular

great- i will pm - if we could talk I would appreciate it!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
I'm on OHL non-stop....look for me in a Red X14V. We keep our coolers full!

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Family Boat '08 X-Star
As a former resident of Old Hickory, there is good skiing/wakeboarding water. You just have to be selective as to when you do try to find it. With it being a very crowded lake, the weekends are pretty much shot for glass. Plan on fighting 3-4 boats riding at the same time wherever you choose to dip your equipment into the water. With that being said, if you get a house on the water, it is the exact opposite during the week. We lived right around the corner from anchor high marina (the northern most marina on the lake) where we had a slip. Depending on the weather conditions, you could ride right out in the channel on a calm day or one the windier days take a 15 min ride south into Drakes Creek and find some sheltered areas for calmer water. On the weekends, we would have to ride all the way south to Station Camp. (about a 45 min.-hour south from where we were) This is arguably the best riding spot on the water as it is more narrow and wind blocked by the coastline with a long straight run.

Overall it was a great lake to live on. Can get crowded at times. There are larger boats (several offshore cigarette boats, yaghts, and large cabin cruisers). We had an x-30 at the time and were probably below average. You will have to navigate a river channel and there are a few sand bars you have to be aware of, but as long as you follow the markers, you'll stay out of trouble. It has two party coves! A ski course since the last time I was there (in Station Camp Creek as well.) And there is atleast one wakeboard tournament on the water each year. There are a couple marina's on the water for supplies, gas and food.
Personally I think it would be a great choice for you. If you live fulltime, schools are great, you're close to Nashville and you're really close to just about everything you could need in the Hendersonville/Station Camp/Beech/Gallatin area.