Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 Mastercraft Prostar 205 VRS
Thanks guys. It isn't my Propeller nut. I checked that and it is tight with cotter pin intact. You can hear it coming from the Hurth Tranny. Sounds like rocks like Todd said. I'm going to have my dealer change it out to enginge oil. It needs to be changed anyway. Only reason I'm having them do it is so they can also listen to it to make sure it isn't the damper plate.

Sorry B-Rad, I would and could probably do it myself and normally agree with you, but I just don't have the time to spend on it! Too many other projects going on, working full time and running a small business on the side!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 X Star that has the same problem, rock like sound at idle but goes away at speed/revs.

After reading the forum i was wondering if woodrow had any further input??

Or have we come to the conclusion that it is "normal" and does/will not effect performance??
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Mine rattles a little bit. but I had another rattle problem before.
I was sure it was the transmission. but it ended up being my idler pulley. it would rattle in neutral and idle speed. after changing the idler pulley the rattle went away.

You might want to check it. it was a 20.00 fix.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
I never figured out my problem. My boat runs well as far as skiing. I am on a slalom course and pulls great passes and times out correct consistently. But it still makes a nasty noise at times. It makes the noise very bad at times and almost not noticeable at times. It is always at it's worst just in gear (barely above idle speed). Reverse is worse than forward. Forward is equally bad after shifting from neutral into gear as it is coming down from speed to idling in gear. I owned the boat for several years. It did not sound like this in the past. It is not the normal straight cut gear chatter and it makes the noise with the drive shaft dsconnected so it is not propellar nut/key related.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 Indmar 351 Ford Windsor
1 year ago with the same amount of hours i had an identicle situation. 3000$ later and a missled mechanic, we still heard the rocks. We switched our damper but you should not unless springs are loose. DO NOT RIP APART you transmission because it is likely fine. Our main issue was a ignition issue slightly setting off our time and allowing our tranny to gear lash at low rpm. All we needed to fix our problem was an 80$ roatar cap and piont adjustment....Please dont go down a long expensive road i did. Ypur damper plate is probly fine. Transmissions blow up if they have problems or slip, a clunck is likely gear lash.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 Indmar 351 Ford Windsor
This rattle is a norm across most ski and wakeboard boats, due to gear lash. Don't spend much money trying to figure it out like i did.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Mine sounds clunky at idle, but as you pick up RPM and speed, everything is smooth.

After some google searching it appear this is somewhat normal (at least somewhat common) as posted above.

Works good, lasts a long time. Good enough for me. I spend enough on my money pit to go chasing problems that may or may not exist.

If it breaks I will fix it.

Oil level is good, clean and proper. Changed more frequently that necessary for sure.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46957

Have a read of this thread, apparently the noise is a common issue but doesn't cause and harm

"Indmar Products
5400 Old Millington Rd. Millington, TN Phone 800-238-7112 Fax 800-622-7278
SERVICE ADVISORY Date: 11/21/01 Advisory #SV2001-2 SUBJECT: Gear Rattle – Hurth Reduction Gear Transmissions
We have received a number of complaints regarding rattling or noisy ZF/Hurth reduction gears (V-drive or in-line). The noise is most pronounced at idle RPM and typically goes away when the engine RPM is raised above idle. Although the noise can be irritating, this is a normal condition with these transmissions that in no way affects the durability or reliability of the unit.
In an effort to reduce the gear rattle noise at low RPM; the transmission manufacturer has suggested that we change from the current Dexron 3 transmission fluid that we use in the transmission to 15W40 motor oil. This is the same oil that we recommend for use in the engine and its higher viscosity helps “dampen” the contact of the gears and reduces the noise significantly.
Indmar has started using 15W40 Pennzoil Marine Motor Oil in all reduction gears starting with engine IC985313. Those units will be identified with a Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil sticker on the transmission in place of the ATF sticker that was previously attached.
We suggest that if you have a customer complaint of a noisy or rattling reduction gear that you replace the transmission fluid with 15W40 motor oil at the next scheduled service. Our current recommended maintenance schedule calls for changing the transmission oil at the first service (10-20 hours) and then annually or every 300 hours, whichever comes first.
Since the transmission has no drain plug, it is necessary to suck the fluid out of the transmission through the opening in the bottom of the filter cavity. Use a suitable oil removal pump with a pick- up long enough to get to the bottom of the transmission housing. You might also want to remove the coolant lines and let the cooler and hoses drain into a suitable container to make sure as much of the fluid as possible is removed from the transmission. It is not necessary to flush the transmission, just get as much of the old fluid out as possible.
Reconnect the cooling lines and fill the transmission with 15W40 motor oil. The level of the oil should be between the “max” and “min” marks on the dipstick. The following chart gives you the approximate capacities of the various reduction gears.
Model Capacity
450A 2.12 qt (2L) 630A 4.2 qt (4L) 630V 4.2 qt (4L)
SV2001-2
11/21/01"
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
fill the transmission with 15W40 motor oil.
The fix is right there, instead of using ATF, go with motor oil. My manual says use 15W20 though.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004 mcx
im not so sure its a fix at all. I tried it and it seemed quieter for a while but after getting the box hot and running for a few hours it was no better at all ..