Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Im in the same boat as you. I was looking at the same ski you are this winter at a boat show trying to take advantage of "boat show pricing" on a a new ski. I was looking also at the Senate and they kept trying to push me into the HO Freeride which seems to be priced in the area of what you are paying for the Senate.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I' thinking about moving to a 69" Senate with Vector bindings. Was out yesterday for the second time of the year and went over the front of my 67" Connelly Concept with sidewinder bindings. Needless to say it felt like the b*#$h was trying to kill me. I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs. and was thinking the 69" Senate might support my weight better. I tired the Vector bindings on at the MC dealer last week and was able to actually put them on without water and soap. Probably the most comfortable binding I've ever had on. Big improvement over my Sidewinders which require some effort and cramp my feet. I'm also actually thinking the Vectors may have released which would have been worth the purchase price based on how I feel today.

I only free ski these days and would consider myself to be an older intermediate skier. I currently ski at 31 - 32 MPH, don't see myself chasing balls any more but don't really want to step into to a wide body 20 MPH ski either.

So my questions are..... Would there be a noticeable difference with the additional 2"? Has anyone had any experience with both skis or bindings? Would it be worth doing the upgrade?

I still love skiing but I can't take too many more falls like that and not have the ski release......
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
There's not much scarier when skiing than going over the front of your ski while at speed.
Usually, going OTF can be solved by improving body position and/or tweaking your ski's fin. But, I'd still recommend a different ski. At your weight and boat speed a 67" ski is probably too small for you (I'm 190 lbs and ski at 34 mph on a 67"). So a 68" of 69" ski would probably be better.

I had a Senate once. Good, solid ski, but I couldn't get it to work for me -- my fault, probably because I'm a hack in the slalom course and was used to riding quicker and lighter skis (HO Monza, D3 Nomad). BUT, I've read good things about the Senate and a guy I ski with has run mine into 35 off. So, I don't think you can go wrong with the Senate.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Pulled the trigger on Friday. Everything is shipped and should be hear Thursday or Friday.

Skied on the Connelly Saturday and Sunday on glass. Ski felt good again and had no problems but wasn't about to push it after crashing Wednesday. My back is just getting back to normal and this is my first day without Advil. Looking forward to the new and larger ski.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Pulled the trigger on Friday. Everything is shipped and should be hear Thursday or Friday.

Skied on the Connelly Saturday and Sunday on glass. Ski felt good again and had no problems but wasn't about to push it after crashing Wednesday. My back is just getting back to normal and this is my first day without Advil. Looking forward to the new and larger ski.
Well, how about an update on the new ski? I picked up a Radar Theory last summer and love it, but still wonder if I should have gone with the Senate.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS
I also have a theory that i bought a few years ago to replace a conelly concept. I think the Conelly was a 67" and the theory is a 69". I am 5'8" and 190. I like the ease of the theory, but it feels slow. The boat struggled to pull me up on the concept (or maybe I was fighting it). I am thinking i need to find a middle of the the two.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Actually ended up being a bit of a cluster getting the ski. Guess I just tried to get it too cheap (or I was being too cheap).

Bought a blem off Ski It Again for $270 shipped which BTW shipped directly from Radar. That part went well but took 5 days longer to get than I thought. Then went to the good ole Interweb to get some Vector bindings. That didn't go so well. Found a set of XL Vectors (from two separate sellers) for $220 total shipped. Pulled the trigger and everything started falling apart. First seller no longer had the light weight 2012 model rear binding but offered to replace it with the 2013 aluminum plate version for the same price. Saved $60 so went with that.

Second seller mis-listed what he had and backed out. Was able to find a front XL binding for $120 but it doesn't exactly match the rear. It has a slightly different pattern and logos as it's the 2012 version of the boot. While I would have liked perfectly matching boot it's not that big of a deal for me as long as they're the same model and fit correctly.

At any rate I just got everything on Monday and am planning on going out tonight to see how it rides.

The Connelly I had was a 67 and the Radar is a 69. I stood the two up next to each other and there is a noticeable difference in size (both length and width) between the two. At my weight and size I'm hoping this difference will help me out.

All in all so far I'm still happy with the purchase and am only into the package for about $500. My local MC dealer wouldn't move under $750 which I understand but for that difference I can live with slightly mismatched boots.

I'll be sure to update as soon as I get to take this bad boy out for a ride. Unfortunately on our lake just because you get there doesn't mean the conditions will be good for skiing. Tons of boaters and sometimes the wind just rips up the bay. That and based on the crashes I've taken recently I'll be looking for decent water for that first ride.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
MC Devotee

Had the ski out last night for the first run. Was very happy.

First thing I noticed between the Concept and the Senate was the weight difference between the two skis. The Senate while 2" longer and noticeably wider was noticeably lighter. The same was true of the Connelly Sidewinder bindings and the Radar Vectors. That lighter feel also translates into the feel of the ski while riding it. While on the feel of things I have to say I won't miss the Sidewinders at all. The Sidewinders while providing a very secure fit also pinched my feet and I would get cramping if I was in them waiting between sets. The Vectors are like wearing a pair of skate shoes. I needed lube to get into my Sidewinders, the Vectors just slide on.

I'm sure the two inches helped but the starts on this ski just felt less demanding and less stressful. Not dramatically so but noticeable. Riding the ski was very noticeably less demanding. The ski felt more balanced and just seemed to ride effortlessly. While the Connelly seemed to want to be on or off while turning and you needed to pay attention all the time, the Senate has a carving feel to it very similar to my first ski which was an EP Comp 1. It doesn't hunt while riding in a straight line and gives you a more confident feeling as to what to expect the ski will do next. I was expecting the longer ski to be more difficult to turn but actually had better results on my off side than I had with the Connelly. It seems to accelerate very well off the turn and again is equal to or better than the Concept.

In all honesty I'm thinking a lot of my comparisons between the two skis and my bias towards the Senate are probably due having the right size ski. I was always hitting the upper weight limit on the Connelly and most of my negative descriptions of the performance of the Concept are indicative of someone on a ski that is too small for them. All that said the weight difference is not subjective. The older designed Concept would seem to be constructed of old ground up bowling balls compared to the more advance materials used in the Senate. This translates in a lighter solution that would appear to make a noticeable difference in the way the ski feels and performs.

I've only got a couple sets in so far and wasn't really pushing it as I'm still recovering from the "over the front" falls I took a couple weeks back. I will say though that I am very happy to get back on a carving ski that feels more stable both in the turns and crossing the wakes. Money well spent in my book.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Had the ski out last night for the first run. Was very happy.

First thing I noticed between the Concept and the Senate was the weight difference between the two skis. The Senate while 2" longer and noticeably wider was noticeably lighter. The same was true of the Connelly Sidewinder bindings and the Radar Vectors. That lighter feel also translates into the feel of the ski while riding it. While on the feel of things I have to say I won't miss the Sidewinders at all. The Sidewinders while providing a very secure fit also pinched my feet and I would get cramping if I was in them waiting between sets. The Vectors are like wearing a pair of skate shoes. I needed lube to get into my Sidewinders, the Vectors just slide on.

I'm sure the two inches helped but the starts on this ski just felt less demanding and less stressful. Not dramatically so but noticeable. Riding the ski was very noticeably less demanding. The ski felt more balanced and just seemed to ride effortlessly. While the Connelly seemed to want to be on or off while turning and you needed to pay attention all the time, the Senate has a carving feel to it very similar to my first ski which was an EP Comp 1. It doesn't hunt while riding in a straight line and gives you a more confident feeling as to what to expect the ski will do next. I was expecting the longer ski to be more difficult to turn but actually had better results on my off side than I had with the Connelly. It seems to accelerate very well off the turn and again is equal to or better than the Concept.

In all honesty I'm thinking a lot of my comparisons between the two skis and my bias towards the Senate are probably due having the right size ski. I was always hitting the upper weight limit on the Connelly and most of my negative descriptions of the performance of the Concept are indicative of someone on a ski that is too small for them. All that said the weight difference is not subjective. The older designed Concept would seem to be constructed of old ground up bowling balls compared to the more advance materials used in the Senate. This translates in a lighter solution that would appear to make a noticeable difference in the way the ski feels and performs.

I've only got a couple sets in so far and wasn't really pushing it as I'm still recovering from the "over the front" falls I took a couple weeks back. I will say though that I am very happy to get back on a carving ski that feels more stable both in the turns and crossing the wakes. Money well spent in my book.
Thanks for the update. Your description sounds like my experience with my Radar Theory. Since I'm not running a course I wanted a more stable platform to ride in the open water but the Senate sounds like it would provide that same balance and perform well in the course. In any case the more I ride the ski the better I like it, I just don't get to the lake enough to make a big difference in my performance which is really what will help at this point.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft Prostar197
I have been skiing on a 2011 Senate C for 2 years now. 69" with Vector bindings. Did my personal best, 2@32 off (34 mph) last year on that ski. Very forgiving and easy to ride. I did move the bindings forward one notch which helped get the ski to turn. My buddy skis on a 67" Senate C and has run 38' off numerous times. Great ski!

Tags
radar, senate, vector