Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-45, 2007, 6.0L
Hard Ballast Won't Drain

Be gentle, I'm a noob, not just to the board, but also watersports and boat ownership itself.
I'm technically handy in other capacities, but there's obviously a lot of specific lingo and know how I'm lacking here, so apologies if I make no sense.

We just purchased a (lightly) used 2007 X-45 SS. As part of the purchase, we paid the marina where it was being maintained for it's previous owner to upgrade the ballast system by adding in some Fat Sacs in addition to the existing hard ballast system the boat came with.

It looks, from what I can tell, that they did it properly.

There are 3 valves in the engine compartment that control whether the hard or sack ballast gets filled or emptied. The sacks and the tanks seem to share an overflow/vent line with a T junction.

At any rate, all the tanks/sacks seem to fill perfectly fine. When full, they overflow through that line, as expected.

Emptying them, however, is a problem.

The sacks all empty perfectly. When the valves in the engine compartment are set to the sack setting, all of them drain as expected. When the valve is moved to the hard ballast setting, here's what happens.

The starboard tank seems to drain fine. You can feel a bit of suction on the vent, you can see bubbles emerge from under the boat, everything seems to work.

The other two tanks, however, don't drain. The pump runs for 10 seconds or so, and then stops, as if it has detected that it's done. While it's running, there's a small amount of suction on the vent, and you can see modest bubbling activity from under the boat.

Any ideas or things I can look for to figure out what is going on here?
We've tried running the pump to drain while docked, engine running, not running, moving, etc... No difference.

Again, sorry if I'm not getting any of the terms right or there's an obvious thing I'm missing here. I've traced all the lines to see where they are going, and everything looks as it should.

At first I thought maybe it was the impeller, but then wouldn't it also not fill? And why would it drain the port/kgb sacks but not the tanks?

I'm stumped. Thanks for any ideas or hints.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Are you the Radio David Web? If so, welcome Sir!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
I would call Jason or Spencer at Wakemakers.com... They can put you on the right path...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205, 2008 Xstar
It is an easy but timely fix. You have to run the valve on the hard tank side and over fill them for about 6 min then you will be able to empty them. This is due to Smart Timer on your ballast switches. this website will reprogram the timers to bypass this problem, but you have send him your timers.

http://www.wakeblaster.com/products/