Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKGMCX30 View Post
OK. I have a similar question but couldn't find an appropriate thread.
I have an 07 MC X30 with the Indmar 350 HP engine. The boat has run fine all week. I filled up yesterday (about a half a tank's worth). We did some surfing and I noticed that I started having a hard time getting appropriate increase in RPM towing the last of our surfers on the starboard side. I had no problems with the surfers on the port side which we did first. The boat was ballasted with several FatSacs and teenagers.
After we stopped surfing and on the way home to swap boards for tubes, I was running at about 3200 RPM (28-30 MPH) and the boat suddenly went to idle. No warning lights or tones. I returned the throttle to idle and pushed it forward again and it seemed to work fine. It did it again and again thereafter. What gives? Is this a fuel filter issue, TPS, something else? I'm stumped.
I would check your fuel pressure first, but there is a thing call dead-stick on 06 MEFI4s. I'm not sure if the same issue can happen on 07 MEFI5s. I'd have to go look at a friends 07 to see if the same parts are on an 07. It happens when the ECM doesn't get a signal from the helms throttle. When this happens the ECM triggers idle. I first heard about it from EngineNut, an Indmar tech. This happens with a faulty Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction module but I'm not sure if 07s have them. If I get a chance I'll look this weekend.

But you say you are not getting an engine alarm when it happens?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beg4wake View Post
CantRepeat..... One shouldn't have to worry about running a tank below half full... if you're anything like me and pull a lot with a weighted boat, half of a tank will last only a couple hours. I'm sorry but I don't feel like making a trip up the lake every few hours to refill at lake gas prices!! I replaced with the Airtech E2044 and haven't had any probs at all. Run the tank down to a 1/4 or less every day we go out. And at $75 I'll gladly keep one on board as a spare just in case...all that's needed to change are an alan wrench, a phillips screw driver, and a fuel line tool and it shouldn't take more than 45 mins to do it all.
No we shouldn't have to worry about it and it would be nice if we didn't. Did your fuel pump quit on you? I use half a tank as a big safety measure but most of what I've read is a 1/4 is fine too. My issue with that is I just don't trust the gauge that much.

You are right about lake prices and I wont pay them.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star, 400hp Vortec
CantRepeat...yeah mine did a couple weeks ago...only about the 3rd time I had the boat out since I bought it! Talk about pissed! But it was an easy fix thanks to all the threads on here about it. I even have a full service warranty that would have covered it but when it only cost me $75 and I got it done in less than an hour, over waiting 3 weeks for my local shop to even look at it...I'll take that any day! Plus I usually like doing things myself so that I'll know for future purposes. And now I have a project on locating the ballast pump for the front right bag of the PWT ballast upgrade that was installed on my boat before I purchased it...the fill pump doesn't seem to be working...grrrrrrrrr
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-30 Indmar 350HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I would check your fuel pressure first, but there is a thing call dead-stick on 06 MEFI4s. I'm not sure if the same issue can happen on 07 MEFI5s. I'd have to go look at a friends 07 to see if the same parts are on an 07. It happens when the ECM doesn't get a signal from the helms throttle. When this happens the ECM triggers idle. I first heard about it from EngineNut, an Indmar tech. This happens with a faulty Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction module but I'm not sure if 07s have them. If I get a chance I'll look this weekend.

But you say you are not getting an engine alarm when it happens?
CantRepeat:
Thanks.
No alarms. No codes. Nothing. The engine is running great. The boat just drops to idle. Could this be the filter or fuel pump? Those would be easy to fix, I believe. The problem I'm having is that everyone is telling me that it'll be 7-14 days to get to it. That will blow our time at the lake. Bummer. If I can fix it with a pump, we are back on line.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
The typical MasterCraft Fuel Pump Failure scenario is dead engine, won't restart, because no fuel pressure.

What engine to you have? MCX with drive-by-wire throttle? In that system, the ECM is programmed to drop to idle if there are any hiccups in the TBW system.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The typical MasterCraft Fuel Pump Failure scenario is dead engine, won't restart, because no fuel pressure.

What engine to you have? MCX with drive-by-wire throttle? In that system, the ECM is programmed to drop to idle if there are any hiccups in the TBW system.
Yeah, but with out a check engine or audible alarm and MIL code set it seems tough to say that it is that. I've read and been told that code 81 should be (set) when the TAC acting up and giving the dead stick going back to idle.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 06-19-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: code 81 should be (set)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beg4wake View Post
CantRepeat...yeah mine did a couple weeks ago...only about the 3rd time I had the boat out since I bought it! Talk about pissed! But it was an easy fix thanks to all the threads on here about it. I even have a full service warranty that would have covered it but when it only cost me $75 and I got it done in less than an hour, over waiting 3 weeks for my local shop to even look at it...I'll take that any day! Plus I usually like doing things myself so that I'll know for future purposes. And now I have a project on locating the ballast pump for the front right bag of the PWT ballast upgrade that was installed on my boat before I purchased it...the fill pump doesn't seem to be working...grrrrrrrrr
I believe most people would say it's the impeller that has gone or is going bad. I would bet most of the pumps are behind the rear walls in either your engine compartment or the rear storage area.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Check the bottom of the transmission cooler for debris, Sounds like the problem I had,
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBushing View Post
Check the bottom of the transmission cooler for debris, Sounds like the problem I had,
Which issue are you talking about?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star, 400hp Vortec
Cant Repeat...Thanks. Yeah I was kinda assuming they were back there (although hoping they werent!) mainly because I see a few of the black hoses run back there but can't tell what they're going to...I may just wait till the end of summer to fix it considering we usually have pleanty of people in the boat to make up for it. Right now I'm just filling the KGB and about half the rear sacs and it seems to put up a great solid wake. And if we have enough people I'll fill the back sacs mostly full and put enough people in the front to counter weight and the wake is INCREDIBLE!