Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X45
Great news!

As I mentioned in another thread, I would recommend to those who are still running the original pump to replace as a PM item.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
Great news!

As I mentioned in another thread, I would recommend to those who are still running the original pump to replace as a PM item.
I see no reason to do this. So long as you don't run it out or low on fuel the pumps should last very long time. I'm going on 7 years without issue.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
I think there is a general consensus that they go bad around 250-300 hours. I would at least keep a spare if you are close to that.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I was told that fuel filter at the base of the module should be changed about every 2 years.
When you replace your pump, always replace the filter too.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X45
I would agree with Jerseydave.....my 2008 x45 only has 108 hours on it and I still lost a fuel pump. I was rarely if ever below half tank on fuel. Good news is that this potentially awful situation is actually an easy fix. Will be keeping a spare on board from now on......
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-30 Indmar 350HP
OK. I have a similar question but couldn't find an appropriate thread.
I have an 07 MC X30 with the Indmar 350 HP engine. The boat has run fine all week. I filled up yesterday (about a half a tank's worth). We did some surfing and I noticed that I started having a hard time getting appropriate increase in RPM towing the last of our surfers on the starboard side. I had no problems with the surfers on the port side which we did first. The boat was ballasted with several FatSacs and teenagers.
After we stopped surfing and on the way home to swap boards for tubes, I was running at about 3200 RPM (28-30 MPH) and the boat suddenly went to idle. No warning lights or tones. I returned the throttle to idle and pushed it forward again and it seemed to work fine. It did it again and again thereafter. What gives? Is this a fuel filter issue, TPS, something else? I'm stumped.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star, 400hp Vortec
CantRepeat..... One shouldn't have to worry about running a tank below half full... if you're anything like me and pull a lot with a weighted boat, half of a tank will last only a couple hours. I'm sorry but I don't feel like making a trip up the lake every few hours to refill at lake gas prices!! I replaced with the Airtech E2044 and haven't had any probs at all. Run the tank down to a 1/4 or less every day we go out. And at $75 I'll gladly keep one on board as a spare just in case...all that's needed to change are an alan wrench, a phillips screw driver, and a fuel line tool and it shouldn't take more than 45 mins to do it all.

LKGMCX30... sounds to me like you may have a different issue going on. Sounds more electrical to me. Not so much a fuel starvation problem. I could be wrong though. Maybe a short in your safety tether? Just speculating.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-30 Indmar 350HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beg4wake View Post
CantRepeat..... One shouldn't have to worry about running a tank below half full... if you're anything like me and pull a lot with a weighted boat, half of a tank will last only a couple hours. I'm sorry but I don't feel like making a trip up the lake every few hours to refill at lake gas prices!! I replaced with the Airtech E2044 and haven't had any probs at all. Run the tank down to a 1/4 or less every day we go out. And at $75 I'll gladly keep one on board as a spare just in case...all that's needed to change are an alan wrench, a phillips screw driver, and a fuel line tool and it shouldn't take more than 45 mins to do it all.

LKGMCX30... sounds to me like you may have a different issue going on. Sounds more electrical to me. Not so much a fuel starvation problem. I could be wrong though. Maybe a short in your safety tether? Just speculating.
Thanks for the reply. I'll stand by for any other opinions too.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I see no reason to do this. So long as you don't run it out or low on fuel the pumps should last very long time. I'm going on 7 years without issue.
You're in the minority from personal experience and what is posted here.
To me, replacing a faulty $70 part "before" it breaks sounds like good PM to not ruin a day on the lake.
When you're like me and lucky to avg 30-40hrs/yr on the boat (less now w/ the AK adventure thrown in) you want ot make every day count.
I carry a spare pump JIC but will be replacing it after I get to 200hrs or so on the boat.
To the OP.
If it was the fuel pump, sounds like it was, when you replaced it, did the fuel lines all push back on real tight?
Buddy had an issue where the fuel lines were a bit loose on the pump after replacing. had same symptoms as bad pump. Added hose clamp(s) to the line and solved the problem.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
You're in the minority from personal experience and what is posted here.
To me, replacing a faulty $70 part "before" it breaks sounds like good PM to not ruin a day on the lake.
When you're like me and lucky to avg 30-40hrs/yr on the boat (less now w/ the AK adventure thrown in) you want ot make every day count.
I carry a spare pump JIC but will be replacing it after I get to 200hrs or so on the boat.
To the OP.
If it was the fuel pump, sounds like it was, when you replaced it, did the fuel lines all push back on real tight?
Buddy had an issue where the fuel lines were a bit loose on the pump after replacing. had same symptoms as bad pump. Added hose clamp(s) to the line and solved the problem.
I hear you. I've been very lucky when compared to others in the same year group. I have learned from others and I fill up every weekend regardless of our intended use.

On the other hand, like you, don't want to end up missing any hours on the water. I've gone the same route and have then entire fuel pump change out kit handy!! There is nothing wrong with either good PM or being prepared for when, not if, it will happen to me.
Attached Images