Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 02 X-30
2002 X30 bellhousing explosion

Soo... After a pretty decent evening/night on the water this past saturday, we were headed back to the ramp, cruising at about 25mph in open water when I heard a boom from the engine compartment. I immediately shut it down, and turned off the key. Went to turn it back on and nothing.... Long story short, after poking around I noticed the starter wire was severed in half. Stripped the 2 ends, put it back together and turned the key back on. We had power again but when i turned the motor over i heard a really loud whining noise coming from the motor. (it also sliced the wet exhaust hose port side) After further inspection, i realized a part of the bellhousing (between the motor and tranny) had a rather large hole in it. Good night turned really bad quickly. Anyways, I know that something inside the housing has failed and possibly a piece of debris shot out the side of the housing.. Im pretty sure all thats in there is the flywheel and starter gear. We are going to tear into it and find out but I just want to know if anybody has ever heard of or seen this happen. And how would we get the parts ect... Pics will follow and any help/ideas is much appreciated
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 AM
TT Regular

the first 2 pics are looking from under the rear middle seat, near the port side of the tranny.. The 2nd 2 are looking from above and the last a the piece of shrapnel i found in the bilge area.... The first 2 are also upside down.. my bad
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Damper plate is located in there as well, bolted to the fly wheel. Could be a spring failure on the plate, or a bolt failure in either the plate or fly wheel.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM
TT Regular

We have already considered the bolt failure scenario.. Either one might have backed out or the head has sheared off??
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004 mcx
I had a 2004 x2 that developed a slight ticking noise at idle, on checking around I heard they had had a few damper plates breakup and sort of explode in the bell housing causing the sort of damage you have..i swapped my drive plate at 100 hours just to eliminate this happening and fit an upgraded drive plate .
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Sounds like your damper plate broke and the pieces trashed your bell housing. Not terribly uncommon. Try pulling your starter and see if you can fish some of the damper plate pieces out of there.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Sounds like your damper plate broke and the pieces trashed your bell housing. Not terribly uncommon. Try pulling your starter and see if you can fish some of the damper plate pieces out of there.
This may be a dumb question by why would there be a need to do that if I'm gonna have to pull the tranny out anyways to replace whatever's broken and the bellhousing? Also, does anyone know where I need to start looking to find the parts? Summer just started you know.....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtexX30 View Post
This may be a dumb question by why would there be a need to do that if I'm gonna have to pull the tranny out anyways to replace whatever's broken and the bellhousing? Also, does anyone know where I need to start looking to find the parts? Summer just started you know.....
Yeah, good point. Obviously you have to replace the bell housing. The pulling-the-starter thing was my knee-jerk diagnostic maneuver for blown flex plate. Didn't process your OP completely.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
inboardonline.com has the bell housing for $275.56
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Ebay for your damper plate, and local auto parts store for ring gear bolts (hardened bolts) if needed.