Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
190 rear floor soft spot

Can anyone please tell me where a thread is that deals with fixing the rear center floor area right behind the motor box. I know there has to be some discussions about it. I have search and must be using the wrong key word. Trying to find out if it is easier to fill with foam and reglass or just make a new piece out of wood? It's on a 1991 190. Thank you and glad I found this site (although I don't think my wallet agrees).
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The flooring is made of honeycomb aluminum. Most often, the issue is that the bolts holding the motorbox in place don't have big enough washers to spread the load of the motorbox and pull through. On my 93, I just reinforced the area where the bolts were with a piece of wood and used longer bolts and larger washers. If you have a soft spot, you could reinforce it like that, but use a piece of HDPE, like a cutting board. It is heavy, but it won't rot and is rigid enough to strengthen the floor piece.

Just a thought.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you. The motor box screws are okay at this time. It's just behind there where the soft spot is. Right in front for the bench seat. All the rest of it is as hard as a rock. I do like the idea though of putting bolts all the way through for the motorbox with large washers on the under side.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I did a google site search for the forum for "honeycomb aluminum." Got some good results.

Link to Search Results

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I see you mention seat.

If you use your rear seat all the time, an option is to spin the floor piece around and put the bad section under your seat. Then you have a 'new' section where it once was soft.

Make sure to use big washers or better yet, a plate when you remount the hinges.

Kinda rigging it, but easier cheaper and you don't have to find carpet.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
I turned mine around like East tx is saying to do and I put 2 layers of fiberglass down on the under sided to reinforce seems to be going ok so far
Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

This place is the best. I am very glad I found it. Lot's of info and great people.

Never thought to turn it around. Not a bad idea.

Thanks East TX for the search. It brought up some good ideas.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
I have a 1990 tristar with a soft area on the floor to the left of the engine. Do you know if mine is also honeycomb aluminum or is it fiberglass coated wood? I remember reading a while ago that some boats had wood coated in fiberglass for the floor boards, and the fiberglass could crack letting water in and rot the wood making a softspot. Soft spot hasnt caused any issues yet, I just dont want it to get worse and someone step through the floor.