Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 02 X-30
2002 X30 bellhousing explosion

Soo... After a pretty decent evening/night on the water this past saturday, we were headed back to the ramp, cruising at about 25mph in open water when I heard a boom from the engine compartment. I immediately shut it down, and turned off the key. Went to turn it back on and nothing.... Long story short, after poking around I noticed the starter wire was severed in half. Stripped the 2 ends, put it back together and turned the key back on. We had power again but when i turned the motor over i heard a really loud whining noise coming from the motor. (it also sliced the wet exhaust hose port side) After further inspection, i realized a part of the bellhousing (between the motor and tranny) had a rather large hole in it. Good night turned really bad quickly. Anyways, I know that something inside the housing has failed and possibly a piece of debris shot out the side of the housing.. Im pretty sure all thats in there is the flywheel and starter gear. We are going to tear into it and find out but I just want to know if anybody has ever heard of or seen this happen. And how would we get the parts ect... Pics will follow and any help/ideas is much appreciated