Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 mastercraft x2
Can I use a Paperclip to check trouble codes on my boat??

Hey all, i have a 2004 x2, indmar assault 310 TBI engine, MEFI4 ECM. wondering if i could do the paperclip method of checking trouble codes? I've read alot on here that you could only do this on older boats, and newer boats can fry the ECM. My year boat seems to be right around the cutoff.

Took her out one day, ran great and came into the dock with a smile on my face. Next day took her out and was in limp mode right from the start with check engine light on. Idles well and doesn't die, Revs out fine in neutral but enters limp mode when engine is under a load. Also i am hearing a hissing from the flame arrestor, even at idle. Maybe a fuel issue, but would like to know what trouble codes i got and start there.

Thanks to all that reply!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...3&postcount=14
Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
Hey all, i have a 2004 x2, indmar assault 310 TBI engine, MEFI4 ECM. wondering if i could do the paperclip method of checking trouble codes? I've read alot on here that you could only do this on older boats, and newer boats can fry the ECM. My year boat seems to be right around the cutoff.

Took her out one day, ran great and came into the dock with a smile on my face. Next day took her out and was in limp mode right from the start with check engine light on. Idles well and doesn't die, Revs out fine in neutral but enters limp mode when engine is under a load. Also i am hearing a hissing from the flame arrestor, even at idle. Maybe a fuel issue, but would like to know what trouble codes i got and start there.

Thanks to all that reply!
There's no "limp mode" in marine. If it does that, shut it down instead of running it. Cars and trucks had that so a person could pull it over safely, not drive all the way home. Boats don't usually have a radiator and a cooling system full of liquid, so don't keep running it.

If it tops out at 2000 RPM, it's likely that you were overheating it and that's the only reason it goes into RPM Reduction (the REAL name for what is called 'limp mode').

The hissing was always there- it's the air going into the IAC or through the gap between the throttle plate and throttle body.

You can use a paper clip as long as the engine is from 2004 or earlier. In 2005, they changed to the CAN system and you can't use a paper clip to find the codes on those.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM
TT Regular

Thanks JimN, RPM Reduction is the term i was thinking of, and its good to know that 2005 and newer boats cannot use a paperclip. You guys on here are the best.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I think it was 07 they changed to MEFI5 and CATS. My 06 has MEFI4.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I think it was 07 they changed to MEFI5 and CATS. My 06 has MEFI4.
The converter has nothing to do with this- it's the CAN system being used as of 2005 that makes using a scanner or computer necessary, per EngineNut.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The converter has nothing to do with this- it's the CAN system being used as of 2005 that makes using a scanner or computer necessary, per EngineNut.
I hear ya Jim. But, my 06 is a MEFI4 and does not have a CAN system. I did, however, purchase the I-CAN adapter so I could scan a friends 07 MEFI5. When I talk to EngineNut(Larry) about it is when I learned that it was MEFI5s that needed the I-CAN adapter which I purchased from Rinda. There could have been a mid year change but I don't have a CAN.

I never said the CATs had anything to do with scanning codes. It's just the same year they went to MEFI5s.

So the good news is that if anyone is in my area and needs codes read from any of the MEFI systems I have the cable and both adapters.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 06-17-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I hear ya Jim. But, my 06 is a MEFI4 and does not have a CAN system. I did, however, purchase the I-CAN adapter so I could scan a friends 07 MEFI5. When I talk to EngineNut(Larry) about it is when I learned that it was MEFI5s that needed the I-CAN adapter which I purchased from Rinda. There could have been a mid year change but I don't have a CAN.

I never said the CATs had anything to do with scanning codes. It's just the same year they went to MEFI5s.

So the good news is that if anyone is in my area and needs codes read from any of the MEFI systems I have the cable and both adapters.
OK. I was just going by the PM he sent when I asked when the paper clip method ended. Didn't go into too much detail.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
TT Regular

thanks all... i did the test and was hoping you could help me out... i seem to be getting 12, then 8, then 1, then 8... ive never seen an 81 code on any of the pages ive checked.. i was thinking maybe that could be 44, lean exhaust... but there are definitely no pauses in the blinks. Anyone have a guess?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
thanks all... i did the test and was hoping you could help me out... i seem to be getting 12, then 8, then 1, then 8... ive never seen an 81 code on any of the pages ive checked.. i was thinking maybe that could be 44, lean exhaust... but there are definitely no pauses in the blinks. Anyone have a guess?
Code 81 needs a scanner or laptop to get the full readout for it. There are a lot of subsets for that code. I was told the main reason behind that code is possible bad grounds for the battery or the ECM.

You will get 12 before you get any codes.