Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
Yes the left cover has a PCV valve. I will check or replace as they are inexpensive.
Pull the PCV and shake it- if it rattles, don't bother replacing it.

When you changed the oil and filter, did you crank the new filter on like it was a contest? Only tighten it 3/4 to 1 full turn after the rubber gasket makes contact with the block.

What about the hose for draining the oil- is it hanging at the front of the engine, next to the pulleys? I have seen several that wore through because they moved during acceleration and made contact with a pulley.

Remove the starter and use a small diameter flashlight with an inspection mirror to look at the flywheel- if it's covered with oil (it will have a sheen that shouldn't be on it) and looks like it's wet, you may have a bad rear main seal. Not the end of the World, but you don't want to run it this way.

What does the transmission use- Dexron or 20W? Make sure of where the leak exists- did you check the fluid levels after you saw the oil? If not, do it immediately.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Still leaking....:no face:

Replaced valve cover gasket this afternoon, sprayed down the block with brake cleaner, cleaned the bilge and went for a short test run. After a 10 minute run, right front of engine, hoses, etc. is covered in oil. I do not think it is the valve cover gasket, as I can see no leak under the gasket. There seems to be three things that it could be: oil pressure switch piping, oil filter, or dipstick tube. Also made sure oil level was ok. I'm guessing I lost about 1/2 quart as this what it took to bring the level back to the safe zone.

I bought another PVC valve and replaced my solid oil fill cap with a breathable cap also today. I plan on taking the pressure switch plumbing off and checking it and also replacing the oil filter, as well as trying to tighten the dip stick tube.

After I do this I may make a run with the dog box off to see if I can see where the leak is coming from. It is weird that at the dock with the fast idle around 2000 rpms I cannot see a leak.

Hope to get to work on this later in the week. I'll update the thread afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by SWGA Boater; 06-16-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I just chased down a oil leak on my 93 maristar.

Last edited by john jones; 02-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Made alot of progress today....

Changed the oil and filter (not two seals as I had hoped), took off the oil pressure sender piping as well as dipstick tube, cleaned them and applied tape to the threads and tightened everything back up. Put a little kitty litter in the bilge to help soak up the oil and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner. I then ran the engine on the hose in the yard, for about 20 minutes. Varied the rpms (1000-2500) and did not see any oil leaking. We'll see when the motor is running on the water and under a load. Hopefully the oil leak is repaired.

Now have some issues with my carb (see other thread) not wanting to idle. Secondaries are dripping gas at idle. Hope to make a quick run tomorrow afternoon if I can get the carb issues worked out.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Still have excessive crankcase pressure/oil leak

Ran the boat with the engine cover off this afternoon. Have isolated the oil leak to blow by out of the dipstick tube. Almost immediately after getting into the throttle dipstck pops up and starts spitting oil out. Had previously installed a new pcv valve and a breather oil fill cap. So much pressure was coming out of the breather cap it literally looked like smoke. Put my nonvented oil fill cap back on which leads to more blow by/oil coming from the dipstick tube. Should have taken a video...

I'll try and pick up or rent a compression gage tomorrow. Piston ring blow by is the only thing I can think of causing this much pressure. Seems to idle fine and no skipping under a load though.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
Ran the boat with the engine cover off this afternoon. Have isolated the oil leak to blow by out of the dipstick tube. Almost immediately after getting into the throttle dipstck pops up and starts spitting oil out. Had previously installed a new pcv valve and a breather oil fill cap. So much pressure was coming out of the breather cap it literally looked like smoke. Put my nonvented oil fill cap back on which leads to more blow by/oil coming from the dipstick tube. Should have taken a video...

I'll try and pick up or rent a compression gage tomorrow. Piston ring blow by is the only thing I can think of causing this much pressure. Seems to idle fine and no skipping under a load though.

Any other thoughts?
Remove the oil filler cap and the breather cap and remove the raw water pump so you can rotate the crank manually. Make sure to disconnect the battery first- don't want any possibility of it starting. Listen for what sounds like gasping coming from the oil filler openings. If you do, it could indicate blow-by.

Rather than do a compression test, do a cylinder leakdown test. It could be rings, but it could be scoring in one or more cylinders, too.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Having a hard time coming up with a leak down tester. I was hoping I would not have to buy one....i did run a compression check though just to do it. One cylinder was 135, six were 140, and one was 145.

Jim had mentioned did I have the stock valve covers. I have a pair of chrome covers. They do have a baffle under the holes. Would the aftermarket covers be an issue? They were on the engine when i bought the boat.

Also should the dipstick have some type of rubber, oring, anything that would help seal the tube?

When cranking engine over (coil wire off), dipstick out, thumb over tube, i can feel small puffs of air. Should this be normal?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Have been doing a little reading on some Ford forums. I think i understand how the pcv system works now. The breather i installed in the valve cover the other day which was clearly venting pressure should have been sucking air. For it not to be sucking but venting my pcv valve would not seem like it is working. Replaced with new pcv valve though....

With the engine running, and hose off pcv valve, I should have a strong vacuum--correct? Maybe not enough vacuum for the valve to work? I will try and do some more investigating tomorrow night.

Still wondering if the valve covers are the issue. When i checked the new pcv valve tonight there was oil residue in the hose going from the valve to the carb spacer.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Valve covers, baffled or not is not your problem. Dipstick are norm slip fit. Can u post picture. Compression is good,

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Remember the motor is an air pump.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE