Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Man that's looking good.

I've never tried working on the windshield frame; I got out a buffing wheel and aluminum rouge and did our Air Chair, but that seems like a poor choice for the frame. You're on your own for this one.
Thanks for the compliment!!

I will see what they have for aluminum rim cleaner/polish next time I'm at the parts store.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

I changed my transmission fluid Saturday, what I messy job. I was glad I don't have any carpets in the back compartments yet, I would have a trail of AFT. I bought a transfer pump but I was having a hard time getting the tube to go to the bottom and not curl up. I found a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and taped it to the hose, with that I was almost able to get to the bottom of the case (the curves some so I couldn't get the very bottom). I sucked out 3 3/8 qts.

I added a gallon of 15W-40 oil, I have the cooler drained so once I get it running I'll check the dipstick and adjust as needed. One thing I will do next time is make sure I pump into an empty gallon oil jug, hopefully it won't splash as much when I get carried way with a pump or suck air.

One more thing crossed off the to do list!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Question time:

Looking at this bulb wouldn't you assume it was blown?

It's not:

Is this normal?

I figure since I have the dash out I will go thru and change all the bulbs now just to be safe, they are marked 191's.

Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

I can do a search on this but if someone wants to point me in the right direction that would be great.

Early on Frank posted that the fuel senders tend to go bad and since I don't have power to the boat yet I pulled the sender and tried to check it.

Full:

Empty:

The resistance did not change, am I doing something wrong? I assumed there would be a slide in that tube so I pulled it apart but did not see any slide. Does the resistance change as the fuel moves up and down on the tube?

I see there's adjustments on top of the sender but I didn't touch them:

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Last question (for now):

What is this? It was screwed under the dash and wired to the stereo power and runs all the way back to where the motor should be, I do not know where it was hooked. Is it a circuit breaker, all that's on it is 12 volt?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
I can do a search on this but if someone wants to point me in the right direction that would be great.

Early on Frank posted that the fuel senders tend to go bad and since I don't have power to the boat yet I pulled the sender and tried to check it.

Full:

Empty:

The resistance did not change, am I doing something wrong? I assumed there would be a slide in that tube so I pulled it apart but did not see any slide. Does the resistance change as the fuel moves up and down on the tube?

I see there's adjustments on top of the sender but I didn't touch them:

Thanks, Steve
The highest that sender should read is 240 ohms give or take a few ohms. Fuel Sender 101 thread will help. I am sure you will need a new sending unit. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48823
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
The highest that sender should read is 240 ohms give or take a few ohms. Fuel Sender 101 thread will help. I am sure you will need a new sending unit. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48823
Thank you, that was a very nice write up. I guess I will be ordering a sending unit.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
Hig...Just started reading this, and to say the least, I'm impressed with what you've accomplished! It seems you know your way around cars/boats, which leaves me with one question: Why a Bayliner?

Your MC will be a world of difference from your old boat. My guess is you'll wonder why you didn't make the move years ago!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
I'm not sure I agree. I believe that's an electronic sender, and needs to have 12V fed into it to work right; then it simulates the appropriate resistance. I think I'd put it back in-circuit and measure the voltage across the sender as you raise and lower it in the tank - no change, new sender.

That's already a replacement, and not the one that came with the boat.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post

I figure since I have the dash out I will go thru and change all the bulbs now just to be safe, they are marked 191's.

Steve
On mine, the bulbs had a little orange hood on them in order to give an orange backlight on the gauges. An orange-dyed bulb seems like a better answer. The next time I had to do mine, I was going to see about retrofitting an orange LED.