Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x-7
MCX Block Cracked

Hi guys,

I potentially have a cracked block on a 350 MCX engine out of a Mastercraft X-7. It hasn't been confirmed yet but it's the likely prognosis. Still praying that its a head but it fills with water too quickly I think. Anyhow the Mastercraft guys at Martin Motor Sports told me 'around 13k' to fix, which dropped my jaw.

So I was wondering about the opinions of people with more experience than myself on this topic? Is that an insane number or is it pretty inline? Should there be better more prudent options? Anywhere a guy can pick up a used engine?

I am fairly experienced with doing automotive engines so I am not afraid of doing the work myself. It seems to me that a complete engine replacement would be overboard, if I could find a good short or long block, I would think that would be all I need. Problem is that I don't want to miss a lot of boating season and I am very busy at the moment with work, so I'd definitely prefer to have someone else do the work. But 13k!?!? Holy man. I feel like they're just trying to make the most they can off this.

Does anyone have any experience with getting their boat insurance to pay on this?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Real common question around here - most of the good threads mention "Jasper", so I'd search on that. This might be a good place to get started.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM

Boat: 06 X30
If you can do the work yourself, you'll save a ton of money.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1749
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Seems pretty steep to me! I'd probably just get a new long block and DIY. That way you know it will be done right. When you are talking about that kind of money, you could almost take a week off from work, do it yourself, and still be money ahead!

Not sure how it works in the boating industry , but flat rates in the auto industry have caused the quality of repair work to go in the toilet. My friend who has been a GM mechanic for 25 years tells me about the work he sees at the dealer caused by the mechanics rushing to make the repair because the time allotment is way too low. No attention to detail, lots of corner cutting, etc. my personal story on a close friends 6.0 power stroke would make you cry (that's a story for another time).

If you have the skills, do it yourself period. You will know it was done right and with care. That's not to say the dealer mechanics won't do a great job- the mechanics that worked on my M/C at the dealer did fine. i just think you take too big of a risk if you don't know the mechanic personally that will be doing the work.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
How many hours on the boat, and how,long do you intend to keep it? This should come into consideration on whether you have the head freshened along with the rest of the engine. And a vote for Jasper. They will most likely be the most expensive option........but you get what you pay for with these guys.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Who's your insurance provider? Do they have freeze protection built into your policy?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
13k will they at least take you out dinner Before they screw you? Wow I pull and install in one Day with a overhead lift. jasper motors are great they stand behind them I have done both indmar and jasper long blocks both are geat replacements. Doing a head swap will be crazy labor cost most places will get you bad when they start opening up motors! Any story about 6.0 powerchoke will make you cry unless your in the business of fixing them that's job security for a mechanic
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
How many hours on the boat, and how,long do you intend to keep it? This should come into consideration on whether you have the head freshened along with the rest of the engine. And a vote for Jasper. They will most likely be the most expensive option........but you get what you pay for with these guys.
yes what year and how many hours...

Tags
cracked, engine, indmar, mcx, replace