Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x-7
MCX Block Cracked

Hi guys,

I potentially have a cracked block on a 350 MCX engine out of a Mastercraft X-7. It hasn't been confirmed yet but it's the likely prognosis. Still praying that its a head but it fills with water too quickly I think. Anyhow the Mastercraft guys at Martin Motor Sports told me 'around 13k' to fix, which dropped my jaw.

So I was wondering about the opinions of people with more experience than myself on this topic? Is that an insane number or is it pretty inline? Should there be better more prudent options? Anywhere a guy can pick up a used engine?

I am fairly experienced with doing automotive engines so I am not afraid of doing the work myself. It seems to me that a complete engine replacement would be overboard, if I could find a good short or long block, I would think that would be all I need. Problem is that I don't want to miss a lot of boating season and I am very busy at the moment with work, so I'd definitely prefer to have someone else do the work. But 13k!?!? Holy man. I feel like they're just trying to make the most they can off this.

Does anyone have any experience with getting their boat insurance to pay on this?

Tags
cracked, engine, indmar, mcx, replace