Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Nice progress Steve. I'll snap a pic of our cig lighter the next time we go out unless someone beats me to it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboat View Post
Your bow turned out great! With the cigarette plug on my dash, it wasn't plugged in behind the dash, not that we needed one. Anyway West Marine had a cheap replacement with a cap for it. Sorry, I do t have a pic Hig.
I like that idea of a replacement with a cap, I'd never use the lighter and it's one less think for the kids to play with.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

What are your plans for the dash panels?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Maristar View Post
What are your plans for the dash panels?
I'm going to try and wrap them in 3M vinyl. I ordered some bubinga wood vinyl and I'm going to see about having the letters cut from white vinyl. I probably should have ordered a set of replacements from Frank's post but that wouldn't be as much fun. You see pics when I start on it.

Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm so excited, I finally feel like I've rounded the corner where it's time to put things back together again!!

I have the whole exterior & interior clean. This morning I finished waxing the interior of the boat, I had finished washing and buffing the interior Saturday.

Here's a good pic of how most of the carpets looked when I bought the boat, fortunately it can clean up with just the power washer. You can also see the modified wand I used to spray up under things better, it was too hard to spray in all the compartments with out it.

Before:

After:

I know I still have a lot of work to do, I'm ordering the motor rebuild kit tomorrow and I'm going to have the machine shop rebuild the short block.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here's a good before and after:

I don't think I have to mark them before & after - you should be able to tell!!

I don't want to claim to be an expert but I've learned a lot with removing the oxidation. I really recommend, on a boat this bad, wet sanding with 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and on the dark colors 1500 grit 3M wet sandpaper.

My neighbor stopped by while I was buffing and he gave me a bottle of Presta Starta Ultra Cut compound and I have to say that worked the best.

The 3M compound is supposed to be the best for buffing fresh automotive clear coat and I would say it cuts about the same as the Meguires Oxidation Remover. The Presta cut the best and left a nice finish, I did not go over it with a finer compound. I would really recommend going thru all the grits, I played around with different steps and when I did all those grits it buffed like a piece of cake. Also pictured is the sanding pad I used to get nice even pressure while I was sanding. I bought 9 1/2" x 11" sheets and cut them in half, you wrap them in thirds around the block so you get 3 sides to sand with. I was surprised the paper did not last longer, I would say I had to use a fresh side about every 2' ft. x 2' ft. area or less.

I hope this encourages someone to get out there and buff their boat:
Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

What is the best way to clean up the aluminum windshield frame? I'm assuming it oxidation?

I tried buffing a small area by hand and that worked but is there a cleaner that would shine it up, maybe a wheel product?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Man that's looking good.

I've never tried working on the windshield frame; I got out a buffing wheel and aluminum rouge and did our Air Chair, but that seems like a poor choice for the frame. You're on your own for this one.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

What polish did you use hig?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Maristar View Post
What polish did you use hig?

Thanks for asking, I meant to post that also. I used the Meguires this time but I also bought some Collinite Heavy Duty Fleetwax that I will try next time.