Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
2001 X30 Platform, Hydroturf?

My X30 platform needs to be redone. The black rubber is starting to crack and peel and the black is coming off on everything, shorts, feet, towels, ect. So I know it is shot. I looked at Sea Dek, but they pre cut pad is $270. I like it but its not in my budget. A few threads said to get the B cut of Hydroturf and use that. The thing is, the only B cut sheets are 3/16". Is that too thin for a platform? The regular sheets that would work are 1/4" and come in 40 x 80. The 36x62 sheets are 2 inches to short. Go figure... Anyway, to those of you have used Hydroturf, any tips or hints before I do the project. Seems pretty straight forward but I always like to see what I am getting in to.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
biggest tip i can give you..........don't cut before you glue. Crap expands like crazy. Cost me 80 bucks worth of material b/c they have no warning of it. Glue it down and then cut.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
I know it has been 3 months and still havn't done the pad, but I really need to. It is a PIA keeping a towel on the platform and still everyone tracks black all over the boat. I noticed you said glue then cut. I am a little nervous about gouging the fiberglass on the platform with a blade though. The SEADEK brand has a precut one for $265 but I am not sue it is work the extra $190 over the hydroturf. Would love to see some samples on here.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Ok I had a talk with hydroturf. Please read all of this before you judge:

EVIDENTLY the old hydroturf expanded more with contact cement than the new. I got an old piece that expanded like crazy, delaminated, and caused air bubbles all over my platform. Basically it looked like pure crap. They used to glue sheets together but now that is not the case.

Their customer service was awesome. I had 2 people call me on the day I complained to apologize and send me a new sheet. I also expressed my concern on the expansion. I had never had this problem since before I didn't have inlays to cut around. He said the sheets with the 3m already on it don't expand at all so go with that.

if its ticking you off don't go with seadek. I called them like a week or 2 ago and they told me 4-6 weeks after they got my template back to get a pad. Like woot I can get a pad on by maybe august.

With all that said I just got my new hydroturf in the mail yesterday and it is much nicer and well made so it seems. Its a single piece of brushed foam, softer than the previous piece, and the 3m seems super strong. After hearing the nightmares about seadeks customer service I'd stick with hydro turf. Atleast I know now they take care of issues if they arise