Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
So it's been a busy week with other projects - mainly finishing up building a new dock (first time for me, pic attached) as well as staying focused on getting the Searay running - so far the JB Weld block repair seems to be holding. Keeping my fingers crossed as the extra $$ it'll fetch will add to the budget for the Mastercraft.
My plan is to drop a couple freeze plugs in the block, change the fluids and turn her over to see what happens prior to considering the engine scrap.. I'm planning on buying this breakerless conversion kit as I currently have the screw down prestolite cap based on you guys' suggestions.
I'm trying to keep doing homework on best engine for the buck assuming the worst case scenario. I'm having a hard time though: I've read many threads regarding engine rotation and still am not 100% on it. I know there were different options available for engines in 88, but did the rotation change? I'm assuming at this point it's a LH rotation (standard) but without being able to crank the engine over, are there any dead giveaways? It is a black painted engine which I read was LH, there is nothing stamped on the prop.
I see a lot of good deals on 351 engines locally and have read all the debate on automotive engines in boats, I would assume that if I bought one, I'd change out the freeze plugs for brass and head gaskets for marine (I'm most likely going to be adding GT40P heads anyways) and all external engine components would be marine of course. When considering this option, is there anything else I should think about? Some people claim there are other differences but I've read quotes from PCM/Indmar that suggests that actually do nothing with internals outside of maybe a different cam for performance/load..
This Sunday I'll be dropping the 2 freeze plugs back in - still not sure why they were removed, and turning her over to see what I see. There is a bit of water in the oil but after sitting for a few years I'm thinking that may or may not mean anything, could just be condensation..
As for he carb - There's a old school local guy here that's been rebuilding carbs out of his house for like 50 yrs that I've been going to forever. $120 flat fee for 4 barrels and he does an amazing job everytime. I'll be sending it off to him for sure..
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

So I had a bit of time today to tinker with it a bit and my plan to this point before considering the engine scrap was to replace the 2 missing freeze plugs, add a bit of oil to each cylinder and if the engines turns smoothly manually then run a compression test on the cylinders.. As soon as I started to clean out the freeze plug holes I noticed a lot of metal shavings (see pic). I'm at a loss for why this stuff is in there.. It's very crumbly and "carbon-y"
Any ideas what this would indicate? If any significant amount of this ran through the circulator pump should I consider that toast as well? Curious if I could just flush this stuff out of the jacket and move forward or is it indicative or something bigger?
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Got a bit more done today and unfortunately discovered the engine is seized oh well, I bought the boat assuming it would need a swap, frustrating thing is the person before has definitely been wrenching on it and it would've saved me a bit of time had he just been honest about it..
I pulled the raw water pump and the thermostat housing and found the same heavy corrosion I found in the water jacket at the freeze plugs.. Is this typical or was this boat in acid? I knew the impeller would be shot and it was of course, little pieces of it missing but the impeller housing seems fine, spins tight and freely - can't think of any way to test the seal though..
My big concerns now are what will be salvagable.. the intake manifold is very corroded where I pulled the thermostat housing. I'm afraid I'll find the same thing in the exhaust manifolds - should I be concerned here? Can these be dipped or something to restore the interior areas? Swapping the intake wouldn't be so bad - could easily get an aftermarket or something.. Here's some pics:
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
Got a bit more done today and unfortunately discovered the engine is seized oh well, I bought the boat assuming it would need a swap, frustrating thing is the person before has definitely been wrenching on it and it would've saved me a bit of time had he just been honest about it..
I pulled the raw water pump and the thermostat housing and found the same heavy corrosion I found in the water jacket at the freeze plugs.. Is this typical or was this boat in acid? I knew the impeller would be shot and it was of course, little pieces of it missing but the impeller housing seems fine, spins tight and freely - can't think of any way to test the seal though..
My big concerns now are what will be salvagable.. the intake manifold is very corroded where I pulled the thermostat housing. I'm afraid I'll find the same thing in the exhaust manifolds - should I be concerned here? Can these be dipped or something to restore the interior areas? Swapping the intake wouldn't be so bad - could easily get an aftermarket or something.. Here's some pics:
My thermostat housing looked worse, I sand blasted and had it powder coated black, looks new. Plan on new exhaust manifolds, but they may be salvageable too. You may be able to free and save the motor, soak in oil.

Last edited by nkorep2; 05-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
You can test the seal in the water pump housing by filling it with water and seeing if it leaks out the back. If it does, the seal is only a $16 part and easy to replace.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Managed to get a few hours in on this yesterday. After pouring about a cup of oil in each cylinder and letting it soak for the last couple weeks i decided to go at it with a breaker bar and see if she'd turn so I could i finally determine if there's any hope for the engine. No such luck so I decided to start tearing the top end down so I could get a look inside and start working on figuring out what externals need to replaced or cleaned up.
After tearing the top end off I found a crack in the valley of the block, one cylinder with a pretty big chunk missing out of the combustion chamber in the head near the valves and a few cylinders that had some pitting corrosion..
So doing my shopping for a new engine now, think I've narrowed it down to one on Ebay. Tomorrow I'll start getting into cleaning and refreshing the thermostat housing, the exhaust manifolds/risers, the intake manifold and dropping the carb off for a rebuild.
I've made a pretty substantial shopping list of parts from skidim that I'll be ordering in the next week or so, seems like it's about everything besides an engine ...
Here's some pics from this weekend:
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
too bad on the seized engine.. but you got to tear into it... and not unexpected...now you'll have a nice new ride when the engine is replaced - how's the trans?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
too bad on the seized engine.. but you got to tear into it... and not unexpected...now you'll have a nice new ride when the engine is replaced - how's the trans?
Not sure on the tranny yet - not that it's any thorough way to test but seems to shift fine and smoothly, fluid looked good. Hopefully no issues there.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
What about picking up something like this and having it rebuilt / swapping your parts onto it?

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/3853272695.html

Or... take a drive

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/3805880718.html
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
What about picking up something like this and having it rebuilt / swapping your parts onto it?

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/3853272695.html

Or... take a drive

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/3805880718.html
Thanks for posting Catamount! I emailed the guy in NY, I'd take a drive for a deal like that.