Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrhodes View Post
Medallion folks were wonderful help! My MDC unit was $171.82 plus $15 shipping. Was quoted $300 -$400 elsewhere plus installation. It shipped today. Fairly easy to pull it so install shouldn't be too bad. Would urge anyone that needs a new MDC to go direct.
What boat was this for waiting on pricing
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
MC Master Poster

My first question would be "Who winterized it?".

The lines need to be purged annually and if they aren't, the water can work itself up from the rear. The problem with drying it out and trying to use it is that the diaphragm(s) may have ruptured, which means it will just happen again. If you don't plan to use the pitots again, dry it out and see if it works- if it does, WooHoo!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 SportStar
Boat is a 1999 MasterCraft SportStar. I never blew out the lines before and never had a problem in 11 years! Just lucky I guess. So now I know and will probably never hook up pitot's again! Save up for a GPS speedo.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrhodes View Post
Boat is a 1999 MasterCraft SportStar. I never blew out the lines before and never had a problem in 11 years! Just lucky I guess. So now I know and will probably never hook up pitot's again! Save up for a GPS speedo.
With the small amount of water inside, it doesn't need to be very cold for it to freeze- it's not like a large amount that requires lower temps over a longer time.

I don't know why these are seen as a bad thing- they work, they're fairly accurate and it takes part of a minute to clear them.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
My first question would be "Who winterized it?".

The lines need to be purged annually and if they aren't, the water can work itself up from the rear. The problem with drying it out and trying to use it is that the diaphragm(s) may have ruptured, which means it will just happen again. If you don't plan to use the pitots again, dry it out and see if it works- if it does, WooHoo!
interesting, I was told they are self draining. Learned that lesson the hard way and I am adding it to my list for each fall. How do you typically purge the lines? just a shot of air?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
interesting, I was told they are self draining. Learned that lesson the hard way and I am adding it to my list for each fall. How do you typically purge the lines? just a shot of air?
Who told you that? They were wrong.

Ever use an eye dropper? How well does that drain itself? Both are closed on one end and open on the other.

If you have a turkey baster, that would work. A vacuum pressure pump or low pressure compressed air work, too.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
TT Regular

Received new MDC from Medallion yesterday as promised! $171.82 plus $15 shipping! When I ordered they told me it was in stock; however they said that they are not always in stock and if they need to build it would be about 2 weeks. This is the way to go to save $100-200!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Who told you that? They were wrong.

Ever use an eye dropper? How well does that drain itself? Both are closed on one end and open on the other.

If you have a turkey baster, that would work. A vacuum pressure pump or low pressure compressed air work, too.
Mine drain by themselves. Not sure if it has anything to do with the fact my MDC is right full of water currently, but after parking my boat at the house, while I'm milling about in the garage, hanging stuff to dry, they always dump water out of the pickups on the transom. Usually both at the same time.

Getting a new MDC has been painful. My local dealer wants $650, Medallion won't answer when I call them, and if I do find one online for a half reasonable price, they won't ship to Canada...

If the relationship between Medallion and MasterCraft soured, why does the consumer have to pay?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM
TT Regular

try this email: carin.langlois@medallionis.com
She is a customer service representative
I have her phone as 616-850-8014
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Got it today, $205 plus shipping. I told her what my local dealer was charging and she was surprised.

Good to go direct if they're willing I suppose