Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP View Post
I notice you live in Livermore.. I live in the South Bay. I have a project boat which is a 1985 SS and was curious if you found a way to remove the black vent on the bow? With regards to vibration, I noticed the same when I test drove my boat. I had some prop dings as you do but the prop was a bit lose as well.. just a heads up.
Great job on the pictures...
To be honest I have not even tried to remove that vent.

Thanks for the heads up on the prop issue. I'm gonna have it pulled and repaired and see if that helps anything.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
A quick little update on the money pit. Yesterday was the second trip out to the delta since I have owned the boat. The first time was when I posted prior to this. Since then I rebuild the carb that came on the boat since the one I purchased was not meshing well with my boat for several reasons. I also had the prop reworked to the tune of $200 for a fricking tiny nick. (I was not a happy camper when I got that bill)

On to yesterdays events... Took it out with the wife before our family friends got out there. Ran it for a total of about 20 mins, 15 of that being 5 mph zones. Boat was running great, a little rich, but I'm ok with that as it is just a simple tuning issue with the carb. The driveline vibration was pretty much non existent. I was as happy as a clam.

We went back to the marina to meet up with out friends, putts out of the 5mph zone and took off. Well, somewhat took off. About 50 yards out of the 5mph zone I lost all power and there was smoke billowing from the engine cover. (Insert several expletives in a very long sentence) I throw open then engine cover and to my relief it was only one of the exhaust hoses that had exploded. Yes, my day was over but at least it is an easy fix.

Picture of the first of many tows I'm sure: (Yes I was getting towed by a ski umbrella)

And onto the hose:

Interior of hose:

Well since the boat does not have a stereo system in it I have been trying to be responsible with my money and do the necessary things first and make sure the boat is running like a top before I have fun with that. After being towed for 30 mins in dead silence I am ordering my stereo equipment this week ha ha.

Even though yesterday sucked two good things came out of the day: 1. The boat was running well before I broke it. and 2. I will have a full tank of gas for the next time I take this bad boy out. Wooohoooo
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP View Post
I notice you live in Livermore.. I live in the South Bay. I have a project boat which is a 1985 SS and was curious if you found a way to remove the black vent on the bow?
IIRC The Bow vent is attached with silicone sealant/adhesive. Probably the best way to remove it is to carefully pull on the vent while cutting the silicone underneath it with a sharp knife.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by roush611 View Post
.....I throw open then engine cover and to my relief it was only one of the exhaust hoses that had exploded.

And onto the hose:

Interior of hose:

It happens.....
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 06-10-2013 at 09:40 PM.