Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
ballast fill question

well, I didn't consider myself a rookie, but I have a rookie question. X1 rear ballast, I have 750's in rear lockers. Can I fill one side at the same time as draining the other for different surfers?

I've always drained one side dry, then filled the other after for some strange reason???
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Crownline 182 (sold), 2012 Mastercraft X2
I fill and drain togheter on a 2012 x2, don't see what's wrong with it, if you empty it came trou the same hole but, the other pump is sucking it back up so.

I don't think this is a problem.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Yeah, you can fill one side and drain the other at the same time.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Yes you can
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
Thanks, I assume that the ballast drain hole and the overflow hole are seperate holes in the hull??
Old 06-09-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Emptying and filling at allows mine to fill faster. I assume your system is the same as mine, I think we have the same hull. The drains for the tanks are above the waterline, behind the windshield on each side. The fill hose is linked to a thru-hull fitting below the waterline. The system has a manifold below the engine where everything connects. To drain, when the pumps reverse a one-way valve prevents flow from the tanks back through the thru-hull, and the water enters the manifold and is forced up and out of the drain lines. When draining and filling, the extra water that normally would be forced out of the drain lines is sucked up by the other pump decreasing the resistance to the pump, allowing it to fill faster.

Also, I assume you have fat sacs to get that 750 in the rear lockers. I don't know if you have them, but I added one-way valves to the vent lines on mine and it allows the pumps to suck every drop of water out of the bags and makes it much easier to tell when the bags are empty (they used to remain partly full with air). I would really suggest in investing in the valves if you don't have them.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have an 07 X2 and will fill / drain at the same time while changing sides for surfing. Seems to work better than doing one at a time (one pump is pushing out water out while the other is pulling it in). I'll also drain the front and rear at the same time but only when idling as the pumps draw so much current that you'll need the engine on to keep up with the current draw.

I've never drained the back two together as both are plumbed to the same fitting and would think this would be a bottleneck which would put more strain on the pumps while reducing the effeteness of the process.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-30
Depends if you have a manifold...older MC X series only had single thru-hull fittings. If u have a single and manifold...u can't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romerorrr@yahoo.com View Post
Depends if you have a manifold...older MC X series only had single thru-hull fittings. If u have a single and manifold...u can't
You can fill and drain at the same time even with a manifold. It just takes the water draining from one and uses it to fill the other.