Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
205 tower install, front feet location?

So after a long wait my new tower has finally arrived so i'm trying to figure out mounting. Considering that 205's, x-1's etc have those air vents near the front of the windshield, where are you guys mounting the front feet of the tower? I don't know if the tower will look good mounted on the side of the boat and there is very little room on the top area. Any ideas or pics would be great.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
I can take a better picture for you when i get home if you want. Front feet on my 205v

A word of caution-we mounted a tower on an older hydrodyne direct drive and put the front feet on the side of the boat, seemed like a good solid spot. Problem was it would always interfere with the guide poles when we loaded onto the trailer because they stuck out slightly farther than the rub rail. No problem if you are lined up perfectly but that's not always the case.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X10 6.0, 1993 ProStar 205
When I did my old 1993 205 the front feet where placed based on where I could mount the backing plate to fit the best. The was about 5-6 inches behind the front vents.

I had the Barefoot International Tower.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Mine is mounted even with the air vents, just to the inside of them, like so:
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
So after a long wait my new tower has finally arrived so i'm trying to figure out mounting. Considering that 205's, x-1's etc have those air vents near the front of the windshield, where are you guys mounting the front feet of the tower? I don't know if the tower will look good mounted on the side of the boat and there is very little room on the top area. Any ideas or pics would be great.
What kind of tower did you purchase?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 205V, 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
Mine is mounted even with the air vents, just to the inside of them, like so:
This is the same set up that I have on my 2000 -- 205V... When we drilled the holes for the front leg there was an aluminium plate imbedded in the fiberglass; we used the New Dimension supplied plate as well. We were surprised by the plate and the drill bit did "grab" pretty hard when we hit it.

Joe
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Your boat probably won't have the backing plates installed being a 99 d drive, but it may. Real easy to find out. Pop you head under the observes seat. Look just next to the air vent up in front of windshield. If you don't see a ticker section with a plate glassed in you don't have it. Not a big deal very easy to add one.

The factory location for the original OEM zero flex flyer was right in line with those vents just in front of the windshield on the topside.

The original rear legs were side mounted. I would highly recommend mounting the rear legs on the top deck behind the windshield. You get much less flex and a much flatter area to mount the feet. Almost every mfg has switched to this location on the rear legs being attached to the til deck vs side of the boat. Thus all depends on what tower you went with as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
What kind of tower did you purchase?
I ended up with one called a Indy Liquid Pro. Not much info around about them but apparently they are fairly popular in Australia. When i was looking for pics of them the only place i found much was on the Aussie wakeboard forums. It looks alot like a Monster MT2 but a little nicer and cleaner looking especially the hardware and welds. Not as nice as a ND but its also a third of the price. Once i get it mounted i will post a few pics. The website has some pics of it mounted on a few boats where it looks pretty goofy, but it looks pretty decent on a malibu and a moomba on there.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like the only place that will work and look decent is in that small area between the vents and windshield. I`m just hoping the fiberglass there is strong. I'll reinforce it as best i can but it doesnt look like theres much room.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I ended up with one called a Indy Liquid Pro. Not much info around about them but apparently they are fairly popular in Australia. When i was looking for pics of them the only place i found much was on the Aussie wakeboard forums. It looks alot like a Monster MT2 but a little nicer and cleaner looking especially the hardware and welds. Not as nice as a ND but its also a third of the price. Once i get it mounted i will post a few pics. The website has some pics of it mounted on a few boats where it looks pretty goofy, but it looks pretty decent on a malibu and a moomba on there.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like the only place that will work and look decent is in that small area between the vents and windshield. I`m just hoping the fiberglass there is strong. I'll reinforce it as best i can but it doesnt look like theres much room.
Thats a good looking tower, and with those types of mounts I agree to the location you plan to put them.

My original MT has a different style mounting system which allowed me to keep it on the sides a bit.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams