Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Clean with iron out. Works well and plenty caustic, but less so than muriatic acid.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1999
Well I gave the boat a good cleaning this morning. The water stains are coming off but takes some work. The boat is going into a shop this week for the 100 hour inspection. Getting the complete lookover and getting the fiberglass repairs. First thing first is getting this thing in the water. I will be doing a test drive around the lake once I get it back from the shop.

TPH- do you happen to know more or could you find out anything more about the boat. I am very familiar with clearlake and know that has a bunch of crap floating at the top.

Are these plastic gas tanks? It will be getting fuel treatment (can of heat or some sort of weater remover, through the first tank or two). Putting a new fuel cap on order.

Some better pictures

Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
The water stains will come off with on and off hull cleaner. Brush it on, wait a minute or two and rinse off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEutXi04Bg I used it on my restoration and it woks great.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
TT Newbie

One more question for you guys. I have been tower shopping for this thing. The POs removed the tower they had installed on it. I would like to get the same kind of tower to keep the mounting points the same. The only clue to what kind of tower it was are the mounting points.

It used rectangular mounting points that look to be 2"x4". Anybody have any idea of what kind of tower that could be?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post

TPH- do you happen to know more or could you find out anything more about the boat. I am very familiar with clearlake and know that has a bunch of crap floating at the top.

Are these plastic gas tanks? It will be getting fuel treatment (can of heat or some sort of weater remover, through the first tank or two). Putting a new fuel cap on order.
I probably don't know much more about the boat than you do. I looked at it an hour or two before you did. My comments were based on observation and the information that Nick gave me. The boat requires more work than I wanted to get into. It sounds like you have better resources and more enthusiasm. I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates it's potential.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
One more question for you guys. I have been tower shopping for this thing. The POs removed the tower they had installed on it. I would like to get the same kind of tower to keep the mounting points the same. The only clue to what kind of tower it was are the mounting points.

It used rectangular mounting points that look to be 2"x4". Anybody have any idea of what kind of tower that could be?
I think a few of the manufactures use a rectangular mount. Big Air and Monster come to mind. The best looking tower IMO is the New Dimensions. But, it doesn't use a rectangular mount.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
I probably don't know much more about the boat than you do. I looked at it an hour or two before you did. My comments were based on observation and the information that Nick gave me. The boat requires more work than I wanted to get into. It sounds like you have better resources and more enthusiasm. I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates it's potential.
Lol you were the guy that looked at it before I did. I was hesitant at first, but boats these days I feel are way overpriced. Looked at an '89 Supra Sunsport w/tower for 8k than this thing popped up. Appreciate it though, I don't know about better resources but the enthusiasm is definetely there.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Lol you were the guy that looked at it before I did. I was hesitant at first, but boats these days I feel are way overpriced. Looked at an '89 Supra Sunsport w/tower for 8k than this thing popped up. Appreciate it though, I don't know about better resources but the enthusiasm is definetely there.
If you are going to tackle the upholstery yourself, you definitely have more ability and machinery than I do. Have you had any luck with a tower?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 AM
TT Newbie

I will be doing the upholestry myself, just will take a while to do so. I did order a tower for it, I went with the Monster Mk2 and 2 board racks.

Looks like my MDC box is bad also. From threads here in 2007 they were going for $250, but now they want $550 for them. Are there any places I can find one cheaper?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
TT Newbie

So I havent updated this thread in a while. Last summer I really didnt get around doing anything to the boat but use it. I was out on the water every weekend last summer just enjoying the crap out of it. I had it serviced at the mastercraft dealer by sacramento and those guys did a fantastic job and the boat ran like a champ all summer. I didn't get much done over the winter because of my previous living conditions, and i was preparing to seperate from the military. Now I moved to colorado and brought the boat with me and have been working on it.

To start, I cleaned the hull using On Off hull cleaner. What an amazing job that stuff does.

Next I picked up a harbor freight variable speed buffer, and the 3M compounding and polishing stuff. I went to work cutting and polishing the boat. I didn't wet sand, just used the 3M products.

Before

After

Before/ During

After: