Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
At 9:1 compression and the timing advance these engines run, 87 should be just fine. That said, I run 89. Like Doug said, it's not much difference in price when filling a tank

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I hear ya and tend to agree, that when gas sits around it drops a bit in the octane department. I just fail to see how any motor with a static compression of 8.8 or 9.0 would need more then 87. I always assume, from what EngineNut posted, that Indmar just went with the 89 based off of gas sitting around. He did go onto say that 87 would work just fine without any loss of performance.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 06-03-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
They are all snake oil and not worth your money.

Unless someone has done a lot of work on that engine you are kind of wasting your money running 93.

Did you put any kind of fuel stabilizer in when you winterized?
I have heard mixed reviews on the additives but most are in the snake oil camp. What about Marvel Mystery Oil? I know nothing about it's composition but could that help or hurt?

I do use Stabil on a regular basis both during the season and the appropriate amount for winterization.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Was is sputtering or pinging/detonating? Lower octane causes detonation in higher compression engines.

Where did you get the gas that you later found to be 87? Could it have been old gas? Gas that sat in a can for a while, gas that sat in a marina's tank over the winter?
I usually make it a practice to use all the gas before we leave or fill all the equipment and boats etc and add stabil but some could have been left and inadvertantly used. Fortunately for my wallet we go avoid the marina fuel.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Run 89 in that motor as recommended in the manual and keep it stabilized (even during the season unless you are burning through a tank every two weeks). You could siphon off the gas and use it in cars or lawn equipment or you could add some 93 back to whatever is left of the 87.

2 parts 87 to 1 part 93 = 89.

I plan to run what is in there out and see how she does - it could have just been a bad tank of gas what ever the octane. I hope it's not he carb going but will keep checking all the possibilities. I'll be back on the lake next weekend to see how it goes. Thanks to all for your help!

By the way, I don't always sign in but have become additcted to this site and continue to learn something new every day. My wife thinks I'm nuts/obsessed (she's right) but I have come to see that I'm in good company!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch7 View Post
I plan to run what is in there out and see how she does - it could have just been a bad tank of gas what ever the octane. I hope it's not he carb going but will keep checking all the possibilities. I'll be back on the lake next weekend to see how it goes. Thanks to all for your help!

By the way, I don't always sign in but have become additcted to this site and continue to learn something new every day. My wife thinks I'm nuts/obsessed (she's right) but I have come to see that I'm in good company!
Welcome to the support group. My name is thatsmrmastercraft and I have MCOCD...........

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Was is sputtering or pinging/detonating? Lower octane causes detonation in higher compression engines.

Where did you get the gas that you later found to be 87? Could it have been old gas? Gas that sat in a can for a while, gas that sat in a marina's tank over the winter?
Someone went out to pick up the gas so if there was old gas in one of the tanks we use or condensation it could have caused the problem.

There was no sputtering or pinging just the delay and some coughing. As long as I go slow at the start it doesn't seem to happen.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch7 View Post
I have heard mixed reviews on the additives but most are in the snake oil camp. What about Marvel Mystery Oil? I know nothing about it's composition but could that help or hurt?

I do use Stabil on a regular basis both during the season and the appropriate amount for winterization.
I've always heard good things about MMO. However, I have not used it in anything other then 2 stoke engines back when I was a kid.

The one "rumor" that I like best and need to start using is the MMO or 1/2 quart of tranny fluid before oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Welcome to the support group. My name is thatsmrmastercraft and I have MCOCD...........
Indeed, we are a support group for sure. I get a great feeling after someone comes here and gets good info that turns out to fix their troubles. It doesn't matter if it's my advice or someone info from any of the other great people here, it's always nice to see MC owners helping each other out.

I enjoy learning from great post that go up here!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I've always heard good things about MMO. However, I have not used it in anything other then 2 stoke engines back when I was a kid.

The one "rumor" that I like best and need to start using is the MMO or 1/2 quart of tranny fluid before oil changes.

Indeed, we are a support group for sure. I get a great feeling after someone comes here and gets good info that turns out to fix their troubles. It doesn't matter if it's my advice or someone info from any of the other great people here, it's always nice to see MC owners helping each other out.

I enjoy learning from great post that go up here!
I know TT made my learning curve much more enjoyable. I had my boat for nine months before I was able to put it in the water, so I was able to learn a lot of the things I shoud and shouldn't do before I had a chance to do them.

Team Talk is truly a great place to be.

Tags
carburetor, fuel problem