Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I thought the dripless packing leaked under the boat when the engine was running on the trailer as a way to cool the seal? Was it leaking water inside the boat or leaking out of the shaft area underneath the boat while running on a fake o lake or hose? If the latter, this is normal and part of the design as the water from the raw water pump is used to cool the seal.

Last edited by Rossterman; 06-01-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X25
JMW - I checked the rudder and its still good! They replaced the seal itself and not the boot. You raise a good point about a possible tear on the boot. The water is coming in very slow and at the base (closest to transom) of the boot. The dealer did talk about being very careful when replacing the seal, so that they did not damage the new one. I'll get a mirror and look at the bottom of the boot first thing in the morning. It's definitely not going to sink, its just aggravating to pay for service and not receive it.

Traxx - Your post worked! Actually made me laugh! I love this forum. I've learned a ton of things from it and everyone helps out!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post back tomorrow with my findings.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
I thought the dripless packing leaked under the boat when the engine was running on the trailer as a way to cool the seal? Was it leaking water inside the boat or leaking out of the shaft area underneath the boat while running on a fake o lake or hose? If the latter, this is normal and part of the design as the water from the raw water pump is used to cool the seal.
Its leaking into the bilge. I'm good with it leaking out of the boat.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X5, 2000, 330hp
I'm told they're suppose to leak about 1 drip every 11 seconds. I don't think mine leaks at all. Anyone know? Don't mean to steal your thread. Just thought it might help
Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

No worries. Good question. From my understanding the shaft seals that use packing will drip which is normal. However the dripless seals should be dry. Depends on which one your boat is running.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:26 AM

Boat: 06 X30
The prop shaft port can be resealed with something like 3M 4000.

The dripless systems should always have water coming out of them but should not leak water or drip water into the bilge. If it leaks inside the boat maybe the prop shaft is to pitted or worn in the area the seal is at.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
While you're checking things check the hose that attaches to the side of the boot to make sure they tightened that clamp also, it pulls water from your cooling system to cool the dripless system. If you run it in the driveway you will see water coming out around the shaft where it goes through the hull which should happen but you are correct nothing should be leaking into the bilge. As someone mentioned changing that seal is a real PITA because it's so tight down there so make sure if you pull it apart you have plenty of time and be very careful or you will end up with it leaking again... I'm with you on paying for something and it not being fixed, they should replace it again for free.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

The water is definately coming in somewhere around the bottom of the boot,
around the base by the bottom hose clamps. There is not any water running down the dripless, nor coming out of the top where the seal is. I checked the cooling hose and it's dry as well. I didn't see any rips on the sleeve, but without dropping the shaft I can't do a great inspection. I'm going to get a picture and post to better explain.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

I wanted to give everyone an update and make a correction about the dealer statement i made last night. Although the dealer has had my boat for 8 weeks this year and we have had a long list of issues, the owner came to my shop today and has gone above and beyond to help fix my issue. He brought me a brand new X25 to use for my vacation until everything is corrected on mine. I will update everyone on what fix they find for the leak, but I wanted to be fair to the dealer because this is way more than I could have asked for. We had a great talk/visit and although I have had issues it shows true character and its refreshing that good business still exists. Mistakes will always be made, but how people make things right and recover shows a lot.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Holy s**t, He brought a new X25 for you to use. I reckon there is not much to complain about there. It is refreshing to know that in this cut throat world of overseas and cheap competition, service is what sets businesses apart. Have fun.