Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X25
Looking for Advice

Edits

Last edited by Jonb1822; 01-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
first off you could give us the name and number of the dealer and we will all call them and tell them off.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
I am not sure which dealer you are talking about but I hope it is the one up in the NorthWest because the one in Central has been a Great Dealer to me, the owner is willing to help in every way they can, Not sure which model you have but if that is the prop Shaft, I understand it is a packing on the inside that keeps it from leaking so if that was done wrong , that is probably where your water is coming from , I have heard they are suppose to leak a small amount , I don't think silicone is going to correct a packing problem but if it is the screws leaking , you might take the ouside plate off and resilicone that
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
I am not sure which dealer you are talking about but I hope it is the one up in the NorthWest because the one in Central has been a Great Dealer to me, the owner is willing to help in every way they can, Not sure which model you have but if that is the prop Shaft, I understand it is a packing on the inside that keeps it from leaking so if that was done wrong , that is probably where your water is coming from , I have heard they are suppose to leak a small amount , I don't think silicone is going to correct a packing problem but if it is the screws leaking , you might take the ouside plate off and resilicone that
It is the one in central. Guys are nice, but nothing gets fixed. If you want the details just PM me and I will give you the story. Boat is a 2011 X25 with a OJ dripless. I rechecked the hose clamps and everything is tight. Water feels like it is coming in around one of the bottom two bolts.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
first off you could give us the name and number of the dealer and we will all call them and tell them off.

Ha! I have never felt like doing anything like that until today! Wouldn't do anything, but man I would feel better.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
but if it is the screws leaking , you might take the ouside plate off and resilicone that
has anyone ever done this?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
I'll bet they were not careful when sliding the new seal over the shaft splines and that is what is causing the leak. You have to be very careful replacing that seal and with the v-drive its a pita with so little room to work with... I highly doubt it's leaking around the bolts. As long as the rubber is still good which it should be if they just replaced it but at $175, I wonder if they only replaced the seal and not the boot? The boot could have a tear and that would definitely cause a leak. You can replace the seal itself http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ2041B or the seal with boot http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ2011 in a few hours.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not certain but I don't believe those screws even go all the way through the hull but they might just cant recall. That black cover is more for looks and protecting the hull where the shaft goes through the hull from ropes etc. that can get wrapped around it. I'm almost certain it's your shaft seal or the boot. You could remove the screws and use some 3m 4200 or something approved for below the waterline but I don't believe that's your problem. How much water are you taking on? My shaft seal leaked a little and I ran it all last summer but I don't leave mine in overnight. A little water in the bilge isn't going to hurt anything it's just a pain to dry everything out after being on the water.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Also check around your rudder they can leak water also and a shot of grease will usually fix that.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb1822 View Post
Ha! I have never felt like doing anything like that until today! Wouldn't do anything, but man I would feel better.
You're right. It won't do anything. Was just trying to cheer you up.

If its not too much water just deal with it for this week. Your bilge will be fine. Mine leaks slowly and needs regular adjusting because I leave mine in the water. It's really not a big deal. Hopefully that's your situation and your week will be ok.

We're behind you and these guys will walk you through it. I know you can count drips or something and determine safe or unsafe. I'm no expert though. Also, not to deter you from a diy task that might ruin an otherwise salvageable week but V drive shaft seals are no picnic.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2