Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
http://cgaux.org/vsc/

Just went online to see where the service is offered. There is a tab to do a search. Obviously it doesn't make sense if no one knows what the sticker means other than some insurances offer a discount for having passed - skisafe does not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Strange, our new DNR kid is a coast guard reserve guy. He doesn't even know the correct way that registration stickers or reg numbers go on boats. Offered him some lunch and class, he took the lunch. He's a good kid. He's only interested in the meth heads and the drunken boaters that are being dangerous around people.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie05 View Post
I think you hit it right on the head. We were at Lake Mead this past weekend for 3 days, lake patrol all over which I like. ... When they see us using our flag, kids in the vests, and the type of boat we have they usually stay away.
Exactly my experience this weekend at the local lake. Had the CGA boat shadow us for a couple of minutes while we pulled my son on a kneeboard; we stopped to pull him in and they started to come over. I was expecting a boarding. But, after giving us the eye from 100 feet, they simply turned and left. I guess four kids in jackets, four adults operating safely, and no alcohol in view made'em decide that we were OK.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Exactly my experience this weekend at the local lake. Had the CGA boat shadow us for a couple of minutes while we pulled my son on a kneeboard; we stopped to pull him in and they started to come over. I was expecting a boarding. But, after giving us the eye from 100 feet, they simply turned and left. I guess four kids in jackets, four adults operating safely, and no alcohol in view made'em decide that we were OK.

Yep, I watch them with the binoculars from a distance all the time. They pulled over a Malibu and boarded them for 20 minutes, did not look like it ended well. I love that they are around, but hate it when we seem to get the young officer looking to make a name for themselves.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
I thought the CG Auxiliary didn't really have the authority that the CG does on the water. I was under the impression it was more of a volunteer kind of thing with them.

I say this because one day we were loading up and there was a CGA guy there doing inspections at the ramp and said he was doing inspections. I said no I don't have time for that and he just went on his way.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I'm pretty sure they don't have the same authority. But, I'm also pretty sure that if they pulled up alongside and asked if they could inspect and a belligerent drunk told them to go to hell, they might very well call up the Sheriff's boat for a look-see, which was also out on the lake that day. I wouldn't expect the same result for a pleasant, sober captain who simply told them he didn't have time.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Update: http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...N752259?subj=1

JAY - A Tulsa man surrendered to Delaware County authorities Monday in the May boating deaths of two people on Grand Lake.

John Deselms, 21, was charged with two counts of first-degree manslaughter in Delaware County District Court. He was released after posting $25,000 bond, his attorney Winston Connor II said.

Deselms was the driver of a boat that crashed into a docked houseboat on Grand Lake on May 14, killing Rachel Nicole Swetnam, 21, of Grove and William "Trey" Lewis Varner III, 21, of Texarkana, Ark.

Deselms made a statement but declined to answer questions related to the accident on the advice of his attorney.

"The effect of this accident on Trey and Rachel's families and friends continues to be devastating to say the least," Deselms said. "I love them and miss them both dearly, and not a day goes by that I don't think about them."

After the wreck, Deselms told Grand River Dam Authority police that he didn't remember hitting an unoccupied 96-foot Fantasy houseboat near Arrowhead Yacht Club on the Duck Creek arm of Grand Lake.

Excessive speed, alcohol and operator inattention were listed as contributing factors in the fatal crash, according to a 14-page GRDA preliminary investigation report.

STATEMENT
John Deselms: "The effect of this accident on Trey and Rachel's families and friends continues to be devastating to say the least."
The Cobalt vessel Deselms was driving is registered to Seven Anchors LLC of Tulsa. It was carrying eight passengers at the time of the accident.

Deselms told GRDA police that he consumed 10 beers and a shot of tequila and had taken an antidepressant not prescribed to him before the crash, according to a probable cause affidavit. He also admitted to smoking marijuana two days before the accident, the affidavit states.

A blood alcohol test showed Deselms was more than two times over the legal limit to be operating a vessel. Deselms' blood alcohol level was 0.18, the affidavit states. State law is 0.08.

When GRDA police arrived at the scene, the bow of the Cobalt boat had crashed through the back wall of the houseboat, and the propeller was resting on the lower deck of the houseboat, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Swetnam and Varner were seated in the bow of the boat, the affidavit states. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

Deselms told GRDA police that he was traveling approximately 25 mph and had "about 1,000 hours" of driving experience, the affidavit states. He told GRDA police that he "had way too much experience to do that," referring to the fatal collision, the affidavit states.

Swetnam was a graduate of Cascia Hall Preparatory School in Tulsa and a former Miss Teen Oklahoma. She and Varner were students at the University of Arkansas. Deselms had just completed his junior year at the University of Arkansas.

------------
Homicide definitions in Oklahoma - http://www.oklahomalegalgroup.com/homicide