Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X-30 2012
Picture attached. 2 screws missing. What is that large hole beside the sending unit? It is full of fuel too. Hate to flush it out. Looks like some kind of vent for the fuel tank.
Dealer didn't have any service work to do pertaining to fuel sending unit. Very strange because it wasnt that way when I dropped it off to my knowledge. (not that I opened it up and looked for that) but there was no gas in the bilge when I left it with them.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wait a minute, you're saying the dealer is claiming that these two bolts just happened to fall off while in his shop and they had nothing to do with it??!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Picture attached. 2 screws missing. What is that large hole beside the sending unit? It is full of fuel too. Hate to flush it out. Looks like some kind of vent for the fuel tank.
Dealer didn't have any service work to do pertaining to fuel sending unit. Very strange because it wasnt that way when I dropped it off to my knowledge. (not that I opened it up and looked for that) but there was no gas in the bilge when I left it with them.
There's no vent for the tank that would be exposed to the open air in the bilge- that would be as much of an explosion hazard as what you already have.

We all know that nobody is going to accept the blame for the two screws and you really can't prove they were there when you took it in, so it'll be best to just buy a couple and put them in, yourself.

Use paper towels to soak up whatever is in the hole, leave them outside on concrete and let them dry before throwing them in the garbage. The gas came from what sloshed out of the tank, through the gap at the sender.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
You can also see a discoloration around where the missing screws once were. They were there when the boat left the factory.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Boat: 06 X30
You may even want to order and replace the gasket too.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
The company that makes you gas tank probably sells the same tank to other boat builders, perhaps that hole is to allow the tank to fit other models of boats (maybe space for a pylon?)
So does it look like there are any fresh wrench marks on the remaining bolts? I don't think the filter is under that sending unit, so maybe they didn't remove it for any reason.

I'd use rags/paper towels like JimN said or one of these: Name:  mityvac 7400.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  32.9 KB