Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
It's like buying a boat - it depends upon what you look to doing with it.

Let's assume you are not looking at doing something or so much of something that it absolutely drives you towards Apple products. Then I would stay with Microsoft OS as the most open and most versatile.

Now on to build your own with best of class components vs buy debate - don't do they build your own unless you get some kind of joy from doing so. Otherwise, your best of class components are going to be outdated next month and all you achieved was dumping a bunch of money into something you could have gotten for less because you will never beat the price purchasing power of a major manufacturer. Sure some will tell you that the manufacture puts in the lowest capable power supply (yada, yada, yada) but you can always change that out for just a few bucks. Figure out what you need (CPU, graphics card (do you do a lot of gaming), Wireless speed, network speed, disk space). Chance are you will find something decently priced at Costco, some online store or some other place other than Best Buy (what an oxymoron) that will fit your needs.

Case in point, my home machine is for the wife and kids. Been running for years as they web browse, run email, a few simple office apps (word, excel), some school apps hosted on internet, some low end games. It was a middle of the road consumer desktop when I bought it years ago. As far as games go on it, I don't care as they have a game console for that and would rather not have them loading a bunch of crxp software that tends to be problematic. Now my work laptop is more of the commercial workstation type and is where I run my video editing software - wife and kids don't dare even look at it let alone touch it.

Again, all depends upon what you want out of it. Why buy a Mastercraft direct drive if all you are going to do is go fishing?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
Sort of a thread hijack.

Does anybody (other than me) still use a desktop computer at home?
I am spoiled with my 24 in led screen at work and have the same at home. I would hate to drop in screen size from 24 to 15 or 17. Yes I know you can connect a moniter to a laptop. Also if you accidentally dump a drink into a keyboard, no big deal. Maybe a $10 keyboard replacement. However if you do the same to a laptop you are screwed.
I do. It is the family computer. Fits the needs for what they do with it. Also as you mention above, just exactly why I will not replace it until it dies. The wife now has an Android based 10" table - it's the cats meow to her.