Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
The issue isn't stress from towing people on tubes. Any ND or newer MC tower is plenty strong enough.
The problem arises if the tube tanks under water and turns into a parachute. I've seen someone snap a heavy tube rope when this happens.
As long as you're watching what you're doing its ok

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski/hunt View Post
... "jewel of Tennessee" (Norris)...
first, Norris is not the jewel of tennessee, that lake sucks. rocky shores and lots of snakes, rough water everywhere. Water is so dirty you can get an STD just from peeing in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski/hunt View Post
"one of" the "big wigs" of mastercraft...
I probably know who that is and i find that funny.

look if you tow a tube from the tower, we'll probably come up along side of you, laugh, point and take pictures, can't believe we're even debating this right now.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
I have a tow pylon. I am going to use it to tow. No worries!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
I haven't pulled a tube with my MC (yet) but in the event I do, I have one of these: http://www.marinesupplydock.com/AIRH...AIR-AHTH-9.htm

Oddly enough, I've used it to tow other boats in that were broken down.

For what it's worth, and probably not much since people are slinging hatorade at dealers, my dealer encourages you to pull from the transom tow point.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
I haven't pulled a tube with my MC (yet) but in the event I do, I have one of these: http://www.marinesupplydock.com/AIRH...AIR-AHTH-9.htm

Oddly enough, I've used it to tow other boats in that were broken down.

For what it's worth, and probably not much since people are slinging hatorade at dealers, my dealer encourages you to pull from the transom tow point.
Not to be a kill-joy, but that's the last thing I'd do. Lift rings are designed for pulling up, not back. They aren't reinforced for the direction you want to apply a load to them. I'd stick to the tower or pylon, whichever one won't put me on someone's bad side.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
[quote=willyt;940018]first, Norris is not the jewel of tennessee, that lake sucks. rocky shores and lots of snakes, rough water everywhere. Water is so dirty you can get an STD just from peeing in it.

Hence the reason I put that statement in quotes....
I hear people describe it that way often and wonder if they been to any other lakes in Tennessee---Plenty of others that are much better--I just don't tell anybody about them. I'd rather they go to Norris and hang with all the "Ohians"----
Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie420 View Post
^^^^but it might be a bigger deal to you if your tower breaks then it is to a "bigwig" at mastercraft.to him it might be no big deal.........ive only been doing watersports a few years so I'm no expert but why would you want to tow the tube from the tower, more air?
Its possible too that as a representitive from MC, they may also be purposely loading the tower to its limits to test its performance. Or like Boogie420 said, they dont care so much if they damage their demo boat as it gives them an opertunity to investigate the failure and improve the design - all part of R & D.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Not to be a kill-joy, but that's the last thing I'd do. Lift rings are designed for pulling up, not back. They aren't reinforced for the direction you want to apply a load to them. I'd stick to the tower or pylon, whichever one won't put me on someone's bad side.
You're not a killjoy at all, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't realize the lift rings weren't reinforced for pulling back.

I totally forgot about my ski pylon which is what I'll use in the event I ever pull a tube.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
You're not a killjoy at all, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't realize the lift rings weren't reinforced for pulling back.

I totally forgot about my ski pylon which is what I'll use in the event I ever pull a tube.
Tell that to my wife and daughter.