Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
That looks amazing!! Looking forward to more pics.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by roush611 View Post
And a teaser picture to end a productive weekend. I will hopefully have the rest done by the end of the week....

Gotta love red metalflake.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2013, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Ok, well I took her out to the delta today for some water testing. It could have gone much better but also could have gone way worse. I was having idle issues all day. The boat coming off throttle will idle at 2k for about a minute before it finally starts dropping down. I also got very bad vapor lock which almost caused me to have to get towed in. In a last ditch effort I left throttle wide open and cranked for several seconds. It finally fired up.

While the boat was running I was getting a pretty decent vibration. I dont quite know what it is from but the prop does have a little knick in it. I am hoping it was not the drive shaft.

Last but not least the steering cable that the local boat place ordered is a foot too long. Thinking it would not be a huge issue I installed it anyway. Well needless to say I was having steering issues all day. Boat would only go one direction in reverse, and left turns were difficult and not near as tight as right hand turns.

Any idea on the idle, vapor lock and vibration issues?

Anyway here are a couple pictures...

Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Ok, well I took her out to the delta today for some water testing. It could have gone much better but also could have gone way worse. I was having idle issues all day. The boat coming off throttle will idle at 2k for about a minute before it finally starts dropping down. I also got very bad vapor lock which almost caused me to have to get towed in. In a last ditch effort I left throttle wide open and cranked for several seconds. It finally fired up.

While the boat was running I was getting a pretty decent vibration. I dont quite know what it is from but the prop does have a little knick in it. I am hoping it was not the drive shaft.

Last but not least the steering cable that the local boat place ordered is a foot too long. Thinking it would not be a huge issue I installed it anyway. Well needless to say I was having steering issues all day. Boat would only go one direction in reverse, and left turns were difficult and not near as tight as right hand turns.

Any idea on the idle, vapor lock and vibration issues?

Anyway here are a couple pictures...
lol.. thanks for the post... I enjoy a bit of novel humor and no harm intended....

On your year model, I doubt you got a vapor lock. A dirty 4160, an old 4160, or a 4160 with a vaccum leak is likely your culprit..one or all of the aforementioned.... A rebuild kit, a good cleaning and attention to detail will usually resolve the starting issues, but it could be other tweaks as well... For me if I had an 83 with original carb, I'd consider a new carb (expensive but at some point, only logical).

The left only turn comment is what really made me smile.... Thanks....
It's the nature of the boat.... reverse direction will only be just as you described... you'll have to learn how to plan on your reverse maneuvers.... It gets easier and more fun as the day goes on...... nature of the direct drive concept....

Vibration can be several things, however I'd first inspect the prop... any ding at all can cause a vibe in the driveline right on into the bottoms of your feet.... Don't skimp on getting your prop fixed because it 'doesn't look too bad'. THere is where you'll actually propagate more problems...

You could also have other issues throughout but start with the prop, then consider the cutlass bearing, then alignment, but typically misalignment is not so much of a vibration per se...I'm betting prop or cutlass (allows for some lateral movement of seveal components....Prop first....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. The carb is newly rebuild so I doubt it's an issue with the carb. I think the motor got heat soaked after I turned it off. The reason I say that is because if I turn it off then right back on there is no problem. When I pulled the flame arrestor when it was not starting you could see the vapor floating around in the primaries.

As for the the steering that was a brain fart on my part. I knew that but just spazzing after a long day on the water. I sat and thought about it and was like what a moron statement ha ha. I have not driven my dads Malibu in a few years so today was a nice refresher. Although i will say the steering cable is still wacked. I am gonna pull the prop this week and have it inspected.

Thanks again for the response.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the response. The carb is newly rebuild so I doubt it's an issue with the carb. I think the motor got heat soaked after I turned it off. The reason I say that is because if I turn it off then right back on there is no problem. When I pulled the flame arrestor when it was not starting you could see the vapor floating around in the primaries.

As for the the steering that was a brain fart on my part. I knew that but just spazzing after a long day on the water. I sat and thought about it and was like what a moron statement ha ha. I have not driven my dads Malibu in a few years so today was a nice refresher. Although i will say the steering cable is still wacked. I am gonna pull the prop this week and have it inspected.

Thanks again for the response.
Did you do the rebuild? If someone did not clean the internals sufficiently while it was apart, often times the rebuild is fruitless... I always recommend (not that I am an authority) at least a 24 hour soak time. Someone here just did a very nice write-up of their soaking process. It's worth reading.... ==> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54417

Do you have a spacer plate between the intake and the base of the carb? Both gaskets good?

Coil good? Old? Too close to the manifold?

Electronic ignition (a must for me)?

Timing correct?

Look that prop over yourself. It's easy enough to see if there is anything out of whack.... Doesn't take much on a prop for a vibe to develop.

Just throwing out a few straws....

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-27-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Did you do the rebuild? If someone did not clean the internals sufficiently while it was apart, often times the rebuild is fruitless... I always recommend (not that I am an authority) at least a 24 hour soak time. Someone here just did a very nice write-up of their soaking process. It's worth reading.... ==> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54417

Do you have a spacer plate between the intake and the base of the carb? Both gaskets good?

Coil good? Old? Too close to the manifold?

Electronic ignition (a must for me)?

Timing correct?

Look that prop over yourself. It's easy enough to see if there is anything out of whack.... Doesn't take much on a prop for a vibe to develop.

Just throwing out a few straws....
Thank you for the suggestions. The carb was cleaned well and throughly looked through. The reason I know this is because it was supposedly rebuilt by a company in Florida and the boat ran like crap when I installed it. I took it to a friend who went through it with a fine tooth comb and said the carbon build up in the carb was unreal. While it was in the shop after the rebuild he did vacuum test it and said there was no leaks. It was holding well above average as far as the vacuum goes. I am not ruling out car issues though. There is a chance I am getting post shut off dripping into the primaries. Since as you stated above vapor lock is uncommon. I will look into this next time I run the boat. Gonna be a couple weeks as it is now time to spend time with the wife. I have been working on the boat day in and day out for 2 months ha ha.

The coil is new but there is a chance it is too close to the manifold. Never thought about that. I totally forgot to tighten the clamp before I went out yesterday so it is relatively loose in the holder.

The distributor is a brand new mallory marine POINTS distributor. I will convert it to electronic next year. The budget just didnt allow for an electronic ignition at this point.

Timing is set at 6 degrees BTDC.

Here are a few pictures of the prop. I am for sure going to pull it and get it repaired and go from there. (Yes I know the hull needs to be cleaned ha ha)

Last edited by roush611; 05-27-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM
MC Maniac

I have seen props worse than that, but I have also seen those flaws and less put a vibration in my driveline. I'd have the prop reworked. Around here, ~$125 or less would take care of that prop (as a benchmark). I'd say there lies your vibration....

Your timing should be 10 deg IIRC.

I have heard tell of the coil getting hot but all being said, I have ran coils like this for years with no problems, them being mounted right on top of the engine, of which you speak.

Spacer plate and good gaskets? Good overnight soaking/cleaning is essential on a rebuild.... If you buddy did this in one day or less, it didn't soak long enough (in my opinion) to be confident of clean ports.... $0.02

Without a spacer, that is where lies the possibility of heat induction to the fuel, again just another straw, but I have had a spacer work well for me in similar situation....

Also your vacuum line to the PCV should be coming from a port on the rear-center of the spacer plate. Otherwise you get an imbalanced vacuum draw....

Quote:

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

After yesterday's adventures I decided to take a step back on the mechanical stuff for a few days and just chill. Today I built the first of 4 maybe 6 speaker mounts... Of course the final product product will be carpeted...

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 MC SS
Nice work on your boat...

I notice you live in Livermore.. I live in the South Bay. I have a project boat which is a 1985 SS and was curious if you found a way to remove the black vent on the bow? With regards to vibration, I noticed the same when I test drove my boat. I had some prop dings as you do but the prop was a bit lose as well.. just a heads up.
Great job on the pictures...