Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The sticker on my tower says nothing about NOT towing tubes.

This question comes up every now and then.

How can a tube put more stress on a tower then a wakeboarder cutting across a wake?

This is the factory MC tower warning label for an 06. If a tube isn't a recreational towable I don't know what is.
The surface area alone makes the strain on the tower higher. I know our dealer, which is the highest volume dealer in the world, tells their customers not to tube from the tower. I was also told during the factory tour that you shouldn't as well, so I think it's a safe bet that they don't want you towing tubes from the tower.

I have also read that owing from the tower inceases the chances of the tube getting lift off, increasing the potential of serious injury when the rider is dumped from height. Pretty sure we've all seen the videos of this happening as well. All in all, not a good idea, IMO.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I've towed 3 tubes with adults on them from my tower. As well as one guy on an overturned picnic table. I'm not worried at all.

But your boat is not my boat.

Red pill or Blue pill. That is the question.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
The surface area alone makes the strain on the tower higher. I know our dealer, which is the highest volume dealer in the world, tells their customers not to tube from the tower. I was also told during the factory tour that you shouldn't as well, so I think it's a safe bet that they don't want you towing tubes from the tower.

I have also read that owing from the tower inceases the chances of the tube getting lift off, increasing the potential of serious injury when the rider is dumped from height. Pretty sure we've all seen the videos of this happening as well. All in all, not a good idea, IMO.
Just because you sell boats doesn't make you a design engineer so he's not an authority about towers or towables.

The waring label clearly says what you can and cannot tow from the tower.

I hope towing from the tower gives you more lift because getting air is fun!!

The surface area really doesn't mean all that much. A wakeboard carving across the water has little surface area but creates a tremendous about of drag with very little edge in the water. How could a tube skimming across the water do that?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 AM
MC Devotee

Exactly, when I am toed out on the edge while wakeboarding I pull the boat over to its side. When I whip a tube I barely feel it when its on the side.

This tube from tower thing has always bothered me that people say don't do it. It just doesn't make sense to me why you couldn't.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

I'm going to buy a hanging scale this summer and attach the rope to it and see how much pressure is really being exerted. That will lay this to rest.

Or someone on here that already has one should do it.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I'm going to buy a hanging scale this summer and attach the rope to it and see how much pressure is really being exerted. That will lay this to rest.

Or someone on here that already has one should do it.
I would be very careful with that. If it happen to break it could really hurt someone if it ended up hitting them.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Thats a good point. I smashed out my back window in my truck once when a rope broke and came whipping back.

Maybe someone can recommend a strong one. I know TooTall has a break away on his rope for his Air Chair. He can set it to break away at certain amounts of pressure. Maybe something like that.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

The user manual for my 2013 X30 specifically says it's ok to tow tubes from the tower.

I won't be doing it however, I see no reason to subject the tower and boat to that kind of leveraged force, just use the ski pylon.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Is it the stress on the tower itself or the stress on the upper deck where the tower mounts that should be the concern?

I think I've seen photos on here where there were cracks in the deck around the mounting pads. This was on a tower with 4 points of attachment.
Maybe I saw the photos somewhere else.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Just because you sell boats doesn't make you a design engineer so he's not an authority about towers or towables.

The waring label clearly says what you can and cannot tow from the tower.

I hope towing from the tower gives you more lift because getting air is fun!!

The surface area really doesn't mean all that much. A wakeboard carving across the water has little surface area but creates a tremendous about of drag with very little edge in the water. How could a tube skimming across the water do that?
Ok, how about I toured the Gere Marie factory too, and they said not to tow tubes from the tower. Think they might be an authority on tower usage?