Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Pulled shaft...replace cutlass bearings?

First off, I'm not a candidate for MCOCD - rather I believe in 'on-going' maintenance, keeping things in good working order with good PM but would rather USE the boat as opposed to constantly 'finding' things to fix
With THAT out of the way...I'm in the process of fixing a leaking 'stuffing box' or 'drive shaft log' - that aluminum thru-hull part fiberglassed to the hull. So far I've removed the old fiberlass mat and sealant and have the area ready for West System's G-Flex. I removed the prop and shaft coupler with no problem. The shaft aligns perfectly with the transmission output shaft. I always check the coupler gap each spring, it's always less than .001. The shaft has very little 'wiggle' when trying to move it in the strut.
Should I go ahead and replace the cutlass bearings? All indications are they are not worn excessively, what wear they do have is even and symetrical. But - they ARE 24 years old AND everything is already apart. But, if it ain't broke....
What say those who've 'been there, done that'?
Pictures:

Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
If it were me, I'd replace them - but that's just me.

Looking at the picture, the wear on the ribs looks pretty even all around so they're probably fine.

But, You've already made your decision, haven't you?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
If it were me, I'd replace them - but that's just me.

Looking at the picture, the wear on the ribs looks pretty even all around so they're probably fine.

But, You've already made your decision, haven't you?
+1

No better time than where you are in the process. It's not about being broken but about preventetive maintenance (as you say).

Here's a link for reference if it may be of interest to you... ==> http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-25-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

It looks like hacksaw or sawzall is the preferred home mechanic method for removing the existing bearings?

If I install XPC replacements, what is the best way to seat them?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I'd say hacksaw for the home mechanic - it might take a few more minutes, but I'd be less likely to damage the strut.

Never having done it, I thought the pbase article suggesting a short length of 3/4" all-thread sounded reasonable.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
As long it'd apart why not they are inexpensive... But the bearing still looks good enough... - sounds like you're in MCOCD denial

I like the shaft remover system...
Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks again guys, since it was a weekend job - I'd already ordered the XPC bearings, in case I needed them. SKIDIM recommends strut bearings between 300-500 hours, but Richard there also said he's seen them go 800 w/o problems. I'm at 400. Visually they looked fine. Everything had been pretty simple so far: prop removal, coupling removal from shaft, prying up stuffing box. I didn't want to end up with one of those 'oh crap' jobs and create another week's worth of work if it wasn't needed. A 4" Lennox blade and Sawzall took about 25 seconds in rear bearing and just a small cut in the front and then tapped it out with socket.
XPC's are in freezer now and I just noticed so is a bottle of Patron
Plan is to apply heat to the strut for expansion and maybe water or rubbing alcohol sprayed inside for temporary lubrication and slide in the bearings.
Then, test fit strut for alignment. It was dead on and hit the output shaft squarely in the same plane with the old bearings, I'm expecting the same with the new. It also passes right through the center of the hole in the hull. The stuffing box was glued down just a little far back, which had the shaft running pretty close to the bottom of the outlet, where it comes into the boat and also where the hose log is clamped. I'm going to reattach it forward about 3/4" of an inch. That means the new shaft hose log will be slightly shorter - but all will be centered this way. I'll lose some room next time I replace the packing and/or remove the coupling due to the Powerslot but will still have 'enough' room.
All new hoses (green stripe, just too easy to get everything from SKIDIM) are waiting once this job is done. After a test run (if it EVER warms up here) to check everything and set the packing nut - new fuel filters and impeller will complete this season's 'major' maintenance for the boat.
Trailer bearings need to be checked and gotta get those old leaf springs and mounting hardware replaced too.
Now, back to the freezer but not for the bearings.......
Old 05-25-2013, 06:42 PM

I am sure there are many a bearing with more than 800 hours on them on a well aligned shaft and not..
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

XPC bearings pressed in. Not much difference in 'wiggle' at the output coupling end of the shaft - but man, these things are smooth. A little water and the shaft feels like it has no resistance.
Alignment still looks good. Aluminum stuffing box cleaned up, bonding areas roughed up and ready for epoxy.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM

nice... how long did it take you to remove old cutlass bearings.