Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
Reconfiguring "Drive On" Trailer to "Drag on"

I saw these pictures in an older post, but haven't yet been able to reach the author by PM. So I figured I'd open it up to a new thread and see if I can find any more information.

I ask, because I receive a lot of dirty looks at a few launches trying to drive my '86 skier up onto the trailer. I know they're clearly marked "No Powerloading", but unfortunately, there's simply no way around it. I don't care how you do it, or how far or little you back it in, there is no winching the boat onto my current trailer. The original manual even has directions how to drive it on and "throttle" up the bunks.

So I've been considering doing something similar to the conversion this guy did.... anyone do anything similar? Other options? Does it work well?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 PM
TT Regular

I have an 1984 that I bought new and have never had a problem. Push the boat by hand as far forward on the trailer as you can get. Lock the winch cable under tension and drive away. Then, after you're out of everyone's way, stop suddenly and the boat will slide up. Take the tension off of the cable and do it again until you get it lined up with the slot in the bar. That way, you don't have to modify your trailer. If you want to make it super easy, then do the following; spray liquid rollers on your carpet and wax the hull. The boat will practically slide on and off the trailer on dry land. I'm not kidding. If you do that, never un-winch the boat from the trailer until you are in the water to launch it. Otherwise, it will slide off of the trailer when you are backing it down the boat ramp. Likewise, don't pull the boat up the ramp unless the winch is locked under tension to the bow eye of the boat. I've been doing it for almost 30 years and it works perfectly.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
You guys work very hard and there is a smarter way (no insult intended) to use the trailers, single handed, load and lock down in two steps, less than 60 seconds. I promise. Been doing this for many years (more than 30) with this setup. Each to their own, but think about what your doing here...

No need to even do any winching at all... no pushing required... no sudden stops.....nothing except drive the boat on the trailer and latch the bar.... (a few more motions but that is the gist of it...). one person can do all of this from the boat (including latching the bar properly) and then drive away in the tow vehicle.

IMHO, that bar is the best safety feature you can have on the trailer inclusive of a transom tie-down system....

I have posted about this several times in the past. Just sharing a bit of info here from experience.

However, the setup above looks fairly typical as far as an option. Not saying it doesn't work, but for me, I'd keep my bar long before I'd use another setup. Much easier since there is no winching required and no one has to get in the water at anytime to load and secure the boat.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
just curious but why can you not drive the boat up on the trailer
Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 AM
TT Regular

Cloaked - Please do share..... because I too can load my trailer in 60 seconds, maybe even 45. Been doing it since I was 10 years old. BUT... that involves simply driving up the trailer after someone else backed it in, leaving the throttle slightly above idle, climbing over the front, clamping it on, and signaling to drive ahead. Done deal, no issues.

BUT, this is technically power loading, and is heavily enforced around here. Our water cops are some of the biggest douches I've met anywhere. For instance, in my last go-fast boat, I was pulled over a total of 7 times in one summer for everything from speed to noise to "can't you do that somewhere else"... the speed (at the time) was legal, and no, I didn't want to go somewhere else... the noise was over (which was promptly repaired after the first time and verified by another officer.) I was still pulled over for noise twice more. I sold this boat.

Which brings me to my Mastercraft trailer. Anything over idle up to the dock and shut down is powerloading. I was told that point blank. And I cannot load my trailer (maybe Cloaked can) without driving it on.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 PM
TT Regular

When I answered his thread I was assuming he couldn't power load the boat or get it up forward enough to use the bar. I float mine up far enough to use the bar alone. Then, I leave the ramp and tighten the winch later.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
Cloaked - Please do share..... because I too can load my trailer in 60 seconds, maybe even 45. Been doing it since I was 10 years old. BUT... that involves simply driving up the trailer after someone else backed it in, leaving the throttle slightly above idle, climbing over the front, clamping it on, and signaling to drive ahead. Done deal, no issues.

Which brings me to my Mastercraft trailer. Anything over idle up to the dock and shut down is powerloading. I was told that point blank. And I cannot load my trailer (maybe Cloaked can) without driving it on.
Weasel cops is all I can say. And you can say I said so too...

You do the same thing I do, precisely (as stated above). I usually try to overshoot the bar by a little bit, then as I reach down to latch the bar, I can wiggle the bow of the boat a tiny bit (still throttled slightly) and the boat/bar will slide right into place..........every time...

I would be surprised in TN if a cop said no power loading. I am not aware of any statue or law (in TN) that prohibits. It may be a dock or ramp's preference but I'd sure consider asking or researching where a law says to the contrary for loading.... but common sense says do not argue with the cops..... regardless...
.........but after a certain point, I'd have to know the law for sure and insist on loading my boat the way I prefer....unless in fact there is a law prohibiting.....and not some outspoken rule that someone else says without merit....

Floating the boat to the bar is the only other way, aside from the sudden-stop method, but to me the sudden stop is only to be used on a bad hair day....

The second picture in your first post in indeed a suitable alternate for the circumstances. It looks to be adequate. I'm just hard pressed to think there's a law that prohibits loading a boat with engine power (not disputing your word). I can see a no-wake enforcement (at idle) but aside from that.....show me the rulebook...

I snagged the picture for future reference.... Thanks.... nice looking setup, if it has to be...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I would be surprised in TN if a cop said no power loading. I am not aware of any statue or law (in TN) that prohibits. It may be a dock or ramp's preference but I'd sure consider asking or researching where a law says to the contrary for loading.... but common sense says do not argue with the cops..... regardless...

.........but after a certain point, I'd have to know the law for sure and insist on loading my boat the way I prefer....unless in fact there is a law prohibiting.....and not some outspoken rule that someone else says without merit....
I pulled this from the Michigan DNR Public Launch directory:

No Power Loading
Boaters should winch their craft onto boat trailers instead of powering their boat onto the trailer. Boat ramps throughout the state are being badly damaged by boaters who power their boats onto the boat trailer. The strong currents created by the boat's propeller causes severe erosion and wash out at the end of the ramp. This condition, in turn, can also cause damage to boat trailers.The Department of Natural Resources is attempting to repair as many of the damaged ramps as possible,but the best solution to the problem lies with the boater who refrains from this practice.

If you google Michigan DNR, no power loading, you'll find thread after thread discussing the issue. I was told by the Sheriff's Dept last season that it's $175.00 for the first offense, which escalates to $500 and up to 90 days in Jail for the second offense if the launch is posted with "No Powerloading" signs... which they all are around here. I was also told that idle power is power... no "kind of power"... "shut it off and use the winch." No amount of explaining was going to convince this guy that it was IMPOSSIBLE with my trailer.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Skipper

It is not worth going to jail. Just mount a winch to the trailer. Sounds like an over reaction to a problem not related to loading an MC with a little shot of throttle. I have seen bone heads running WOT trying to push their clumsy IOs and outboards onto the trailer when they could have simply backed in a little farther.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Prostar and 08 X2
This is off the MN DNR website.

The DNR recognizes that some boaters are accustomed to power loading. However, it is preferable that boaters do not race their engines while on the boat ramp. Slightly more than idle speed should be all that is necessary to load and/or unload the boat.

I can load my 2008 X2 all the way to the latch without using any more than idle power. See video.
Attached Files
File Type: mov video-2013-04-06-14-02-02.mov (2.52 MB, 212 views)