Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_11 View Post
Update - I have 12.5V at the battery, once I crank it drops to 11.5V, adding a portable jump kit, it still shows 12.5V with a drop to 11.5V. So I assume the battery is good.

I also measured the purple wire going into the coil, it also drops to ~7V once its cranked. I assume this is why I am not getting a spark, with 7V not being enough voltage to properly work.

So now I need to figure out what is causing such a voltage drop. I measured at the ignition switch as well, again ~12V drops to 7V once cranked. Could this be the culprit, a bad ignition switch? This is another cheap, easy solution, I'll try to hit the store tonight before they close.
Anything else a likely culprit?
Sorry, didn't read your complete post before I posted mine. When you say that you checked the voltage at the ignition switch, which terminal were you checking? The BAT terminal should be battery voltage. The other two terminals are for IGN and START. If the BAT terminal is dropping, you have a problem from the battery to the switch. If the IGN terminal is dropping and BAT terminal stays at 12V, the switch is your problem.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Sorry, didn't read your complete post before I posted mine. When you say that you checked the voltage at the ignition switch, which terminal were you checking? The BAT terminal should be battery voltage. The other two terminals are for IGN and START. If the BAT terminal is dropping, you have a problem from the battery to the switch. If the IGN terminal is dropping and BAT terminal stays at 12V, the switch is your problem.
I changed out the switch, as well as put in new battery terminals, cleaned up all the wires and eventually got 9v to the ignition coil. However it still wouldn't start and I still wasn't getting a spark so I brought it to a mechanic, we'll see how this goes. I also had the battery tested, checked good, i was stumped.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Please tell us what it was...when it's fixed...
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM
MC Devotee

My voltage drops to 9v because my battery is weak but I still get spark . Sounds like you are not getting the trigger pulse from the dist.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
MC Devotee

Any update yet???
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
inquiring minds want to know... since I have a 95 as well.