Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x star ss
2007 xstar ballast help!

Hi guys,

A little help out here, i just purchased a 07 xstar ss

I have a doubt, i havent foud the way to know if the stock ballasts work, therfore i would lie to know some stuff

How do i know if the ballasts are full or empty? How can i manually check it?

Where are thhe ballast impellers located?

How do i know when to stop filling them,and emptying them?

Any help would be greatly apreciated!!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 X-Star, LY6 400
Hi, I have an 07 Star. The pumps are located behind the cover right at the rear behind the engine. To manually tell if the tanks are full, you only need to see the water pissing out the side of the boat half way along. The rear tanks take about 2 mins to fill, and the centre KGB about 5 mins to fill. No need to watch the ballast gauges ....
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
make sure the valve is open at the water intake if you're not filling, port side engine compartment
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks guy, ill look for those tips
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
TT Newbie

Ok, here is the thing,

I turn on the ballast tanks to fill, then its ok because after a while i see the water going out on the side of the boat ( both sides), and i assume that the tanks are already filled...

The thing comes when i try to drain them, i put the switches into the empty position, then i wait for a while, but i never see water coming out from the boat on any side...

That is why i want to inspect viasually the ballast tanks to see if they are fill or empty...

Any advice?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Your ballast tanks empty and fill from beneath the boat. The side ports are vents. The water from them are an overfill situation.
You might see bubbles if the tanks are empty and the pump remains on empty.

Last edited by ZachDaddy; 05-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 X-Star, LY6 400
Yes, on the 07 the tanks empty under the boat, from the same fill pickup. You won't see anything. The pumps will make a different noise when the tank is empty... Try running the empty when the boat is on the trailer too to check.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks zachdaddy and robpout...

So, if understood correctly, the way to tell when the ballasts are fill ots on the side vents ( overfill)

And they way to tell when the ballasts get empty is when i see bubles ??? And the back? on the side?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
See post 34 of this thread - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=34

As mentioned by robpout, you should hear a definate change in sound in the ballast pump as it goes from pumping water out the bottom of the boat to sucking air from the empty tank. At this point the pump is spinning faster due to the reduced strain - higher rpms of the pump = higher pitch noise. You can test this by filling the tanks for a little (you should hear going from a higher pitch sound to a lower pitch sound once the ballast pump primes), then reverse the switch and when the tank empties (pump looses its prime and rpms increase) and you will hear the sound change again. Once you get to know the sounds the ballast pumps make, you will know if they are empty or not just by the sound.

Also, if you have the pump AI timers/controls (and you should unless someone modified and removed them) the AI timer/control should observe the tank is empty (sensing the amperage change) after a short time (oh 5-10 seconds, maybe a little more) and your pump will automatically stop and the switch should display 1 blink. It is always nice to confirm the tank actually empty by observing the change in sound.

Since you are new, the thread link posted above is the single post view. To see the entire thread it was posted in, click on the "thead" link in the upper right hand corner to read more about the ballast timers.

Also, if you search on "ballast timers" you will find lots of information on this subject.

Tags
ballast, xstar