Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
ttu,

Is there any specific grease I need to use. I'm going to attempt this on Friday. Can you send me a parts lists so I can cover my bases before I remove the rudder and sit there cursing. I've got the pliers, I guess I need a new cotter pin and a grease gun?

Thanks in advance.
skidim part number 82908 is the seal. i used marine grease. when i lowered the rudder i used a jack and lowered the rudder just enought to clear the seal. after replacing the seal just raise the rudder back up. also buy some good snap ring plyers. cheap ones make this job a bit#$.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
Thanks pal. Finding any quality tools in Dubai is a mission but I'm sure I'll manage. Do I need bent nose pliers or will straight nose ones work?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Maniac

you will need a seal puller also. those are cheap.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Something like this? Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368629833.153323.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  7.9 KB
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
MC Maniac

^^ that's it!^^^
Old 05-19-2013, 05:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Reporting back: mixed success. Pulled the seal which was dry and corroded, looks like it had never been greased. The grease zerk was totally corroded and appears to be cross threaded in the rudder port. Managed to clean it up and get it to function sufficiently to grease the seal but will need to replace it. I'm hoping its a standard size. If the threads are stripped on the port I guess I'm going to have to pull it off to retread it since there isn't enough space in that evil cave of unhappiness behind the engine. Water tested and no leaks from the rudder but still an inch or two of water in the boat. Shaft seal next I suspect.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
check the hose connection between the two exhaust headers make sure they're tight
Check connections at fresh water pump and back to hull intake including ball valve and tranny cooler
check all hose clamps
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

The saga continues and my confusion grows. This is what my rudder port looks like:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369032779.579826.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  19.8 KB

And remember this is a salt water series boat. I questioned my dealer as to why it had not been greased as per the manual at the 100hr service and this was his reply:

"This is a salt water series boat. Even if you try to grease the inside of
the seal thru the grease fitting you cannot. The only way is by pulling the
rudder out then grease it from the inside - you should have seen that when
you pulled out the old seal. We do not as a matter of policy pull the
rudder out except when necessary."

When I pulled the rusted zerk out it had been screwed through the rubberized covering and was totally blocked with the rubber material. I dug it out and clean it up and put it back in. The thread on the zerk was shot so I will have to find a suitable replacement.

I am having a hard time figuring whether my dealer is correct or just making excuses?

Thanks again for all the replies and advise.

Last edited by Grant777; 05-20-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
The saga continues and my confusion grows. This is what my rudder port looks like:

Attachment 95273

And remember this is a salt water series boat. I questioned my dealer as to why it had not been greased as per the manual at the 100hr service and this was his reply:

"This is a salt water series boat. Even if you try to grease the inside of
the seal thru the grease fitting you cannot. The only way is by pulling the
rudder out then grease it from the inside - you should have seen that when
you pulled out the old seal. We do not as a matter of policy pull the
rudder out except when necessary."

When I pulled the rusted zerk out it had been screwed through the rubberized covering and was totally blocked with the rubber material. I dug it out and clean it up and put it back in. The thread on the zerk was shot so I will have to find a suitable replacement.

I am having a hard time figuring whether my dealer is correct or just making excuses?

Thanks again for all the replies and advise.
I would either call MC or another (maybe more than one) salt water dealer and ask if they lube this as a matter of normal maintenance. It was greased at the factory and it should have been greased after 100 hours, IMO (no experience with salt water, though). The grease not only lubricates the rudder, it displaces water when new grease is injected.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I spoke to a few dealers and they all seem to confirm that even the SS rudder ports need greasing and so that's what I did. I replaced the grease fitting and greased it until it shot out the bottom of the hull. Two results. Super smooth steering and no water leak. Since the grease fitting is stripped my OCD requires me to pull the whole rudder port off at a later date and replace but this job looks fairly straight forward. Am I correct in assuming that 3M 4000 fast cure sealant is the one to use?