Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I believe the steel heads share their port design from the vortec heads and have better low and mid lift flow. As far as the damage I've been around a lot of high horse power lt1 cars and never seen anything like that.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Being an impala ss guy it's funny to me they didn't use the steel ones. They have been proven to flow better then the aluminum ones, in fact they are some of the best flowing heads GM ever produced, they are set up for more torque, and I would think they would stand up better to a marine environment.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcreek View Post
This needs to get moved to engine forum. Any cylinder head shop can fix you up. The impalla SS used steel lt1 heads if I am not mistaken. You really just need to find the casting number on the head to match it up. LT-1 had steel or aluminum heads depending on make and model of car. http://outintheshop.com/faq/casting/heads.html
I've seen numerous aluminum lt1 heads for good deals on the impala site. Stock and modified, so many impala guys are switching to ls1's they are plentiful. The boats all came with aluminum, I assumed you would be looking for aluminum replacements when I mentioned looking there.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Here's a link to a 96 set, don't know if they are the same or not.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...e&postid=18259
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 with Corvette LT1
Thanks for the input from everyone. I purchased the boat in the fall last year. Had a comp test done at the dealer and all cylinders were 205-210 except #6 was at 195.
Started the engine on fake a lake in the driveway this spring and everything seemed OK. Dropped it in the water, started up, accelerated and found a definite lack of power. The temp gauge was very erratic so I limped back to the ramp and pulled it out. I'm guessing the dealer didn't quite do the compression test as they said. They have agreed to cover the cost of the repair though. I was able to locate a LT1 head at a local speed shop and am currently in the process of putting it back together. If all goes well, it should be on the water this afternoon.