Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
grand lake boating accident

The boating season is just about to explode for the year and I just want to remind everyone to have a safe, enjoyable time when they go out on the lake.
Remember, alcohol and power boating don't mix! These young people died and their friends have had their lives changed forever as a result.
http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=429502
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
here is the article from the tulsa world.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...1_CUTLIN947849

very sad indeed. there is a speed limit in this area. this same area is where dick lanes mastercraft is at.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS, X-Package
any one of us could have been the other boat in this kind of accident. could have just as easily been an occupied boat underway instead of a parked unoccupied house boat.

this is why I do not drink on my boat, guests are allowed too but not the skipper in my boat.

stay safe out there folks, not everyone makes their decisions with forethought and care
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
still scratching my head about how you could have hit a parked boat in a dock presumably behind a no wake zone in daylight with enough speed to kill people, even drunk. Something doesn't add up. Terrible accident
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Suprisingly little info released yet. Usually not good news for the driver as it follows law enforcement's increasing trend to pile on as many charges as possible in the hopes of DA sensationalism and see how good the lawyer is a picking them apart.
I would assume once more facts are released alcohol will be announced as a factor. This will be quickly picked up by MADD, Operation Dry Water and other neo-prohibitionist special interests.

I have seen a couple comments that they were hot dogging around just prior and another dock may have been impacted prior to the final collision.
Like most ACCIDENTS, there are several contributing factors that SUM at just the wrong moment in time to lead to a sad ending. With out perfect alignment, its just another "close call" or "wild ride"
Part of the enjoyment of boating is freedom. Drive where ever without roads, tossle around, bump, change direction, feel acceleration, sense the engine rumble. Generally, the more chaos, the greater risk. That is the allure of a carnival rides, the sensation of risk with the ASSUMPTION of safety.

I will go on record with SPECULATION - While driving, possibly in a "fun" manner; There was a loss of steering or throttle control which resulted in further actions, possibly an impact; that caused the boat to go further out of control with the final result of a sudden impact.

Inexperience
Distraction
Physical environment
Non use of safety devices
BAD LUCK

- A more experienced driver may have anticipated how a boat or THAT boat would handle in a certain maneuver or not attempted that maneuver at all.
- Hormones, cute girl, cell phone or mosquito may cause a momentary movement that changes even a safe course into the danger zone.
- Environmental factors that affected the body like fatigue, sun or alcohol
- Use of a safety kill switch would have killed the motor had the driver been knocked out of his seat or he simply could have pulled on his arm if he could not control the throttle or wheel.
- wrong place and wrong time. Whether because it was in the cove or because it was a matter of inches one way or another.

If a person says they have never had a close call, they are either lying to themselves or lived in a rubber room.
Unfortunately this incident was on the other side of "close call" with tragic results.

The alcohol zealots will swarm, followed by politicians that find the blame an easy and profitable solution to both fill the government coffers with scape goat money of DUI/BUI and their own election funds from special interests.

Education requirements
Safety measures
More rules, laws and restrictions
all are possible but where is the tipping point between accepting ACCIDENTS happen and living in insulated isolation?

I feel for the loss of life and what may have been. Families will grieve and I hope they forgive.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Think about how many kids are killed doing dumb crap in cars. Its sad but its part of life that kids don't control themselves. Ive never seen a person killed in a dui that cared about the law at that point. Drying up a lake isn't going to help imho. Most of the problems on our lake are from stupid kids, lake lice, and wallys. Heck I've tried to teach people how to drive my boat to get more rides and sometimes people just don't get it. They have their heads turned around constantly, stand up constantly, and pay no attention to their lanes.

BTW does anyone really wear a kill switch? Not to start a bad topic but I don't know anyone who does.....
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Not a good start to the season. Hope we don't have to hear about too many of these this summer. Everyone, be safe out there.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
MC Maniac

hmm, this isn't good.

dad's money will probably get him off or at least a reduced charge.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...E989896?subj=1
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I showed this to my fiance, little relevant for us as our family has a log cabin on grand lake, and both of us were sad to hear the news.

It appears this might be a rental boat. Due to who the boat is registered to and the fact that it was 2012 and the kid driving was 21. But I'm speculating.

This is the exact reason I do not drink a drop of alcohol while on the boat.

Prayers for the deceased who didn't deserve this.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Maniac

from what I have been told the boat was owned by the kid's dad's company and titled that way.