Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
sounds great. keep us updated.

btw i dont have the porpoising issue when dead empty in the rear. can run 45mph smooth. add a few people and that changes. keep them up front and skiing isn't an issue. and i havembeen told by some slalom guys that its not that bad of a wake either. I just started slaloming this year or very end of last year i guess.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Maristar 225VRS
Thumbs up 1996 Maristar

I have a 1996 Maristar 225 VRS. I've had over 50 boats in my time, skied and wakeboarded behind all brands. We've been a skiing and barefooting family and now a wakesurfing and wakeboard family. I've had world champion wakesurfers and boarders board behind our boat and it holds its own to anything "newer and better" out there. We get compliments on its performace and handling still to this day. The only thing comprable to it is the x30.

We bought our boat with a 100 hours on it in 2005 after we sold our brand new 23ft Calabria pro-v that same year.

The corvette lt1 is awesome. We load the boat with over 3k pounds daily in the summer and now have about 1100 hours on it. I would get the boat with the lt1. However the 21 ft is much smaller and probably won't produce as good of a wake. The only problem with the lt1 is especially for surfing with going so slow and idling, the fuel pumps have a tendancy to go out. The newer models of the maristars corrected the problem I think in 1999. So we have gone through several pumps in the last five years. Other than that the corvette engine is awesome. When we had our three blade prop on it, we pushed close to 54 mph, now with the four blade, we max out (when the boat is empty) at about 47-49 mph.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar
Finally got the boat in the water this past Sunday. I like it a lot. Tons of power and handles good. Did not get an opportunity to fill the sacs yet but they seem to fit in the rear compartments well. Boat looks sharp on the water and sounds great.

The only thing I don't really like is the throttle control. It is very hard to keep at a good surf or wakeboard speed. I have to really hold on to the throttle lever to keep it at speed, otherwise it just goes back to no wake speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is perfect pass the way to go? If so, what kind of $$$ am I looking at? I see there are a lot of them on eBay for pretty cheap but not sure what all is included or how hard they are to install. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
MC Devotee

I saw this thread come back and was like oooo updates.

I have the same boat as you know and yes the throttle is very touchy. Surf speeds are finicky, the wave will develope 10 seconds after you make an adjustment. Even by 200 rpms so just make slow easy adjustments.

I need perfect pass bad. My throttle does the same thing where the vibration pulls the throttle back. If you're going to get a PP system get the 3 event stargazer GPS straigh from PP. They are about $1200. But since nobody can drive my boat like I can, it makes it hard for me to get back there and have fun.

As far as the throttle falling back maybe someone else has a solution because that would help. But remember, the driver should be in tune with what the boat is doing. Where its going, the rpm's and how your wake looks. As well as everyones safety. Its a lot of responsibility and it just takes practice.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnellie2020 View Post
Finally got the boat in the water this past Sunday. I like it a lot. Tons of power and handles good. Did not get an opportunity to fill the sacs yet but they seem to fit in the rear compartments well. Boat looks sharp on the water and sounds great.

The only thing I don't really like is the throttle control. It is very hard to keep at a good surf or wakeboard speed. I have to really hold on to the throttle lever to keep it at speed, otherwise it just goes back to no wake speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is perfect pass the way to go? If so, what kind of $$$ am I looking at? I see there are a lot of them on eBay for pretty cheap but not sure what all is included or how hard they are to install. Thanks!
If the boat has the stock 3 blade, use it as a paper weight and get an OJ 4 blade. The 4 blade has a smoother, quicker hole shot and reacts quickly to small throttle changes. My wife (main boat driver for me) noticed the difference with the prop change. If she says it's better, IT'S BETTER!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 maristar 200
Takes a while for people to learn the touchy throttle, but the wakeboard wake on our 97 has been pretty decent. I still have the 3 blade so we max out at about 2000 lbs for wakeboarding. How are you guys distributing your weight? I got a few lead wake bags md ill throw all of em up front to help battle the porpoising if there's just a couple people on board.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
Takes a while for people to learn the touchy throttle, but the wakeboard wake on our 97 has been pretty decent. I still have the 3 blade so we max out at about 2000 lbs for wakeboarding. How are you guys distributing your weight? I got a few lead wake bags md ill throw all of em up front to help battle the porpoising if there's just a couple people on board.
I put on that huge 4 blade and man what a difference. Like a new boat. Get yourself one of those props pronto. Check out ACME, I didn't have good luck with OJ Props in the cust service department.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Newbie

Well... I got myself a 4-blade today.... Ran across what I think was a good deal so grabbed it. It is a CNC'd 13.5 x 17.5. Brand new, never been on a boat. The guy I bought it from had a 200vrs and sold that for a 210. He found out the 210 has a splined shaft so he had this one for sale. See how it works this weekend!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Good luck bud. You will notice a difference. I guarantee it.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
TT Newbie

Anyone think the 17.5 pitch is going to be too much for this boat? Thinking I maybe should have went lower but like I said... I got a good deal and figured its worth a shot!