Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Basic wakeboarding questions

I have a couple of rudimentary questions for the more experienced wakeboarders on TT.

My 20-year-old step-son is a fairly accomplished snowboarder who has played around with wakeboarding for a number of years. He has gotten to the point when he could jump the wake behind our SeaRay very consistently, often with a "grab". No other tricks as of yet, but it is only a matter of time, given his affinity for the local "half-pipe" and terrain parks when snow is on the ground.

My other two step-children can easily get up on a wakeboard but aren't doing any jumps or tricks.

We upgraded our boat to an 04' X-10 last October and our weather in Wisconsin is now to a place where we can get out and try it out. And, I have a few basic questions.

The X-10 has three ballast tanks; where is a good place to start? Should I fill all three completely or start somewhere else? Do I fill the back two or all three?

Also, we upgraded to a Hyperlite State 140 wakeboard this year. My son is ready to take the fins off - - - however, will this make it more difficult for my other family members to wakeboard?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X1
Sounds like your going to have a fun summer! Always great to watch "new" people learning.
Watch some You Tube wakeboarding beginner tip videos.
The ballasts will increase the size of the wake. This may intimidate some beginners. You can also change the wake with speed and the length or the rope. I'd recommend a slower speed and longer rope for the beginners. No reason for them to start out trying to clear the wake, they can "learn" on just one side till they are ready to shorten the rope and speed up to clear the wake.
I doubt removing the fins is a good idea.

matt
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
I also got into wakeboarding after snowboarding for most of my life.

If your step son is ready for ballast, I'd fill all three tanks. If others prefer riding the smaller wake, they can always get their sets in before you fill the ballast. A good rule of how to disperse weight in the boat is 60% in the rear, 40% up front. You'll also begin to notice that weight matters for side to side as well. If one side is heavier than the other, the wake will wash on the other side. The solution is to move weight, usually in the form of passengers on the boat, to move towards the side that is washing. Small adjustments can make a big difference, and these adjustments should be done when whoever is riding is in the middle of the wake. If he or she is riding in the flats on one side, that can make the boat lean a bit towards that side, causing the opposite side of the wake to be washy, and therefore lead to unnecessary adjustments.

As for fins, I'd leave them on. Although I'm sure your son has good edging coming from snowboarding, the fins shouldn't interfere with that. Sometimes they help if you land a little flat.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@semmergroup.com View Post
Sounds like your going to have a fun summer! Always great to watch "new" people learning.
Watch some You Tube wakeboarding beginner tip videos.
The ballasts will increase the size of the wake. This may intimidate some beginners. You can also change the wake with speed and the length or the rope. I'd recommend a slower speed and longer rope for the beginners. No reason for them to start out trying to clear the wake, they can "learn" on just one side till they are ready to shorten the rope and speed up to clear the wake.
I doubt removing the fins is a good idea.

matt
Thanks Matt!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I also got into wakeboarding after snowboarding for most of my life.

If your step son is ready for ballast, I'd fill all three tanks. If others prefer riding the smaller wake, they can always get their sets in before you fill the ballast. A good rule of how to disperse weight in the boat is 60% in the rear, 40% up front. You'll also begin to notice that weight matters for side to side as well. If one side is heavier than the other, the wake will wash on the other side. The solution is to move weight, usually in the form of passengers on the boat, to move towards the side that is washing. Small adjustments can make a big difference, and these adjustments should be done when whoever is riding is in the middle of the wake. If he or she is riding in the flats on one side, that can make the boat lean a bit towards that side, causing the opposite side of the wake to be washy, and therefore lead to unnecessary adjustments.

As for fins, I'd leave them on. Although I'm sure your son has good edging coming from snowboarding, the fins shouldn't interfere with that. Sometimes they help if you land a little flat.
Perfect. I appreciate this response, because it allows me to think through the reasons to try one thing or another. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Have him hit the wake behind the boat without any ballast and see what he thinks. It will more than likely be much different to him than the old sea ray. When he gets comfortable with that, start adding weight to the tanks a little at a time until he's not comfortable hitting the wake fast anymore. If he keeps charging in at it, fill those puppies up and watch him fly
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

My kids and I loved getting the fins off our boards - surface spins and riding switch SOO much easier and less likely to faceplant. The board is a little more loose obviously and you have to edge correctly, but if he's a snowboarder I'd say take the fins off (assuming there are still some smaller fins built into the board). If you only have 1 board for the whole crew then don't do it as total newbs will look like stumbling drunks without fins. Time to buy a separate board in that case.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks to all who responded. The information is great. With any luck, we'll be able to get out this weekend to try things out.