Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-Star 2000
Location for 10" Sub-Woofer 2000 X-Star

I am trying to find a location for a 2nd 10" sub. The current one is on the bulkhead below and in front of the Captain's chair, under the helm. I could spend $40-60 to fabricate a new panel so I could put both 10" side-by-side, but I do not want to spend that money if I can avoid it. Anyone have any other PRACTICAL ideas of where I can put a 10" sub that is not going to get in the way of storage or be low to the ground where it will get wet?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Take a look through this thread and you might find some inspiration. However, I think most of us in the 205/X-1 hulls run a single sub under the helm.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Do you have it in a box or free air?

How much more surface area is there to work with, ie larger speaker?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvnfunk View Post
I am trying to find a location for a 2nd 10" sub. The current one is on the bulkhead below and in front of the Captain's chair, under the helm. I could spend $40-60 to fabricate a new panel so I could put both 10" side-by-side, but I do not want to spend that money if I can avoid it. Anyone have any other PRACTICAL ideas of where I can put a 10" sub that is not going to get in the way of storage or be low to the ground where it will get wet?
I'm always going to recommend the best possible single sub location with the best possible subwoofer/enclosure whether one or two drivers. A second sub location is almost always a compromise and is rarely as productive as the first/best/primary location. Variances in distance, orientation, boundaries and the immediate loading between two sub locations add up to phasing conflicts. Whether in open air, in home theater or in a vehicle cabin, the results are typically the same.

David
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I would ditch the second 10 idea, up that 10 under the dash to a beefy 12 and call it a day. Plenty of room under there for a proper 12inch box .

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Tags
location, subwoofer