Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
It's getting to be that time, dock has been in the water for a week, been out on the SUp a couple times and I still have a empty hull.

Well I did get this in the garage now I'm trying to figure out if I can make it work.

I need to delete the power steering pump, Figure out how to fuel it, and re wire the volvo 10 pin harness to my Indmar 9 pin.

Trying to decide the best route to delete the PS pump. It would be nice if I could find a factory alternator bracket and routing of the serpentine belt. It looks like I'll be fabricating brackets...Gonna be fun getting the proper alignment on the belts huh?

Any advice on the fuel system?
A. Remove Volvo fuel pumps and filter assy.,and plug in the fuel lines and wiring to utilize the Indmar/mastercraft fuel pickup sending unit pump combo in the tank.
B. Use the Volvo pump and filter system and try and fabricate some sort of pick-up fuel sending unit for the the tank.

Finally, I hate to cut the OEM harness's unless it's the last resort. I would like to find a 10 pin male round plug for the Volvo and make a pigtail with a 9 pin round harness to plug into the existing harness in the boat. I spoke with a tech from ebasicpower but he says there is no such thing as a nine pin harness. I double checked and recounted both and found the tech is misinformed. Indmars harness is a 9 pin. So I am having no luck finding a round female 9 pin and a male round 10 pin, so I can wire them together and make my own adapter. Anyone have a hacked up one with enough wire to make one laying around? I'd trade ya for a power steering pump
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
What about the accessory mounting from your old engine, could you use it instead?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

That was my first consideration but the the harmonic balancers are different. I'm hesitant due to weight difference. The North Star ignition has the timing wheel and mag sensors that are part of the lower pulley system so it probably makes up for the weight difference. I also was hoping to use the Volvo fresh water pump because the indmar one is in need of a rebuild or replacement. I don't know how they think they are worth a 140.00.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Dude in regard to the PS pump. So many options.

Quick and dirty is to just run a loop from input to output and have it recirc. This will waste some HP and some fuel, but save lots of money/time.

Next idea would be that the pulley dimension is all that is sacred, make an idler out of it.

The real stroke of GENIUS. York A/C compressor, with that pulley, make your brackets -convert AC compressor to AIR COMPRESSOR - blow up your toys Dawg.

Third Idea... Water pump - bow mounted water cannon.

Fourth. shop some shorter belts, play with routing, find one that works - run it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Air compressor and water cannon.... Now that's some thinking.

May just run the ps pump but want a cleaner solution, and to sell the pump.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
March might have what you're looking for or will make you something that will work right the first time. They've been around a long time and I'd bet they've done boats before.

http://marchperf.com/gallery_chevysmall.html
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Hey Chief, post up pictures of the connectors. Someone on here has to have access to a cable / harness supplier. We may be able to figure out what you need. Look in Digi Key, or Mouser catalogs for the mating connectors. My first engineering gig was a Mfg Engineer in a cable house. Are the plugs Amp, Ampnenol, Weather Pak connectors? A "pigtail" to convert from one to another is a good idea. Like 88 PS190 said use the pulley as an idler. the problem you will have is lubricating it as an idler, or keeping it cool if you use the whole pump. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

After considering my Volvo engine purchase and the complexity of achieving a solution I could live, and the fact that what I was originally looking for recently turned up with a few extra parts I could use. I had to hit the button

Went to the bank, purged my savings, recruited a friend a tow vehicle, and spent 20 hours of Friday and 4 of Saturday on the road in hopes of getting this project in the water by next weekend.

Say hello to my new parts donor, and Welcome to Joe's Ski Boat Salvage and Restoration.

I'm sure my neighbors are thrilled, Probably not as much as Mrs. Chief who lost her parking space, twice this year.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Is the doner boat from indiana? unfortunately the damage on the hull looks familiar.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJC View Post
The ‘cement’ is probably a zinc sacrificial anode on the rudder, to save the rest of the running gear. Looks like that poor boat slept in the salt water. Glad it’s getting a new life.
Yup- zinc anode for running in saltwater. I've seen a few of these over time. Gel looks pretty rough in the back. Hopefully with some wet sanding/polishing it will come back good. Brackets look like they might be too far gone though...