Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
Why would you stress your Tahoe to maintain 75 mph uphill? You must have had it floored; seems like you're flogging it a little. Not to mention that ST tires are rated to 65 mph.
It's not a stress for a Tahoe to maintain that speed and it would not need to be floored. That is why vehicles that can tow have a GVWR that you don't exceed. Also, what are ST tires? The stock tires on a Tahoe have a speed rating of at least 98 MPH. If not, the fuel shut off MPH would be lower.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
ST refers to the trailer tires, not the truck....FYI...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
If you're pulling a boat uphill at 75 mph the throttle would have to be wide open, or close to that. Personally I don't see a need to push it that hard. It doesn't make any difference to me if I get to the top of the hill 30 seconds sooner. Also, there's a lot of weight there. The Tahoe weighs 6000 lbs, your boat may weigh 4000-6000 lbs, then add people and gear. If something happens at 75+ mph (blowout, deer crossing the road, stupid drivers) it won't be pretty. Fuel consumption is also an issue. Just because you can pull the boat that fast doesn't mean you should.

I know there are a lot of people who routinely tow at 75-80 mph who "never had a problem". To each their own.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Stopping distance and control at that speed is going to be very poor, especially with a light duty truck. I never tow over 65, though my ecoboost could pull much faster with ease. It's the stopping/control if something goes wrong that is the concern. And as mentioned, your tires are not rated for that speed.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Safety first.
For comparison I have 2 Silverado's. One is a 2001 2500 2wd standard cab 8ft bed 6.0. My personal truck is a 2005 1500 crew cab 6ft bed 4wd with the same 6.0 engine.
Up a steep grade my older 2500 will pull up a hill with 3/4 throttle and maintain 80mph if I wanted to. Surpass it with ease if at full throttle. Where as my newer 1500 with the same engine and it being longer on the same steep long incline would be maxed out full throttle to maintain 70-75mph.

There is a huge difference between a light truck and heavy duty truck. Even with the same engines. As mentioned safety should be first. My 2500 tows a 4000# trailer every single day. My 1500 would get chewed up if I tried to do that. My brakes would be replaced monthly, my truck would deteriorate extremely fast. etc etc.

My personal truck is sufficient to tow it. And prettier so I do. So just know your limits. Your truck is fine and there is no need to go that fast in a truck not equipped to do so.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 mastercraft xstar
Some clarification, so this doesn't become a you're driving too fast thread -

I could pull it (my 08 Tahoe) 75 up and over with no problems at 3/4 throttle because it had a proper downshift, plenty of power, no problems, hardly felt it was there.

This Yukon I was going 40 mph pedal to the floor (in tow/haul mode) in the right hand lane with flashers on while it dropped below 2k rpm's before downshifting. On the way back I did it in Manual and didn't have the downshifting issues because I was controlling it, but it did feel like I was pushing it a bit.

A local shop suggests a "super chip flashpaq" to reprogram the computer when I am towing. He thinks I am programed to be in what he called "economy mode". It sounds like a good idea especially when I am done towing I can easily reprogram it back to "economy mode" as a grocery getter. Any thoughts on this idea?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Unless someone already put an aftermarket tune in place, I wouldn't go putting a tune in to try and fix this problem. If you've got the pedal to the metal at 2K RPM and it's not downshifting, it sounds like you may have a tranny issue - I'd take it in for a look at a local (dedicated) tranny shop before worrying about a tune, IMHO.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
Unless someone already put an aftermarket tune in place, I wouldn't go putting a tune in to try and fix this problem. If you've got the pedal to the metal at 2K RPM and it's not downshifting, it sounds like you may have a tranny issue - I'd take it in for a look at a local (dedicated) tranny shop before worrying about a tune, IMHO.
I agree. Something is wrong with the truck.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Based on the Year and Miles you stated are on your Yukon take it to a dealership as it is under warranty. Be careful, you run a very high risk of voiding factory powertrain warranty with any performance reprogramming you have done by a third party or yourself.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Definitely take it in to be looked at. I bought a '12 Avalanche about 8 weeks ago. 5.3 but with the 3.42 LS gears. This thing will downshift unloaded on any decent hill on most highways around DFW.