Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar
Thanks for all the good information from everyone. If the Black boat with the LT1 was in as good of shape as the Purple boat, I would buy the black one for sure. I will see when they will be out of storage and maybe look at them side to side. I will make sure to really look at the engine and mechanical parts. Anything specific (besides the aluminum heads) I need to look for in either boat?

Sounds like either boat will do what I am looking to do though.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Make sure you look at both boats when they're clean, and in the sun. A clean boat makes a WORLD of difference over a dusty dirty boat. If it were me, I'd go for the big motor with expectations that I might be using a little elbow grease to make it look pretty. I wouldn't want a purple boat, no matter how nice of condition it was in. Will the guy selling these boats pay for a compression check/mechanical inspection or at least credit that cost towards the purchase price? If not, it would be worth the money to have a mechanic come tell you everything is in order with the drivetrain. Also, lake test them both, there might be vibrations or something on one that aren't present on the other. That will give you an indication on condition of prop shaft, strut, etc.

Don't take out a loan on a boat that you are not 100% sure it runs perfectly. Cosmetic stuff, while it won't look pretty, will still allow you to use the boat and get it into great condition over time. A boat that doesn't run or has tranny/vdrive issues will just sit around while you pay for the boat as well as mechanical costs.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
i say go with the one that takes a little elbow grease and is what you want mechanically. Cosmetic issues you can live with longer and when you do get them fixed ita like you've got a brand new toy.

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
TT Newbie

Well I decided to go with the Black and Teal boat with the Corvette engine. It was being detailed last week and was really turning out nice. They also installed a new Fusion 600 deck and speakers. Once I get it home I will have some better pics but here is what I have so far. Thanks for everyone's responses!
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Sweet ride. Hit me up if you have any questions. I own the same model.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I have a 95 200VRS and I've had a few issues with mine. Don't know how much they changed the hull between 95 and 96. Mine is the 275HP TBI.

My Maristar 200VRS (and a few others here) will porpoise over 30 MPH with several people in the boat. It's a hull issue, not a problem that is fixed by moving passengers around. If you mostly surf and wakeboard it shouldn't be a problem.

My walk thru windshield would drop down if I went over ruff water. I tightened every screw but the hull flexes. I added a nylon strip to tighten the gap in the windshield.

My rub rail leaked at the water line because it wasn't properly sealed. I had to pull back my carpet and seal it.

When you stop the boat, water will wash back onto the platform and dump water down the blower exhaust. I've replaced the blower several times.

Can't use the back seat when towing from the center mounted pylon. Fabricated a pylon bracket and mounted it in front of the sun deck.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Ahhudgin, I had all the exact same issues.

Great advice.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Ahhudgin, I had all the exact same issues.

Great advice.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
It's a great boat for the days we have a load of kids but I still like to slalom and barefoot. My goal this summer is to install a fixed trim tab for the porpoising issue.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Newbie

I was worried about the porpoising issue (crossing my fingers it won't be an issue) but I will mainly be using the boat for wakeboarding, tubing and a lot of surfing. Will rarely be used for slalom or barefooting. If it is an issue, it looks like the fixed trim tab is a pretty easy solution. I also am buying the 7' fly-high pylon not only for wakeboarding but also to allow people to use the back seat when wakeboarding and surfing.

I expect to have a few other things I might not like but I just can't justify spending $30k on a newer wakeboard/surf boat right now. Figured this will be a good start to get me in the game!

Last edited by jnellie2020; 05-14-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM
TT Newbie

Sorry, I meant to correct my spelling and added the same message twice...