Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
There are idiots with ski boats and there are idiots with jet skis. I have encountered both. I'm just glad I didn't prejudge these guys, even if they did mess up my water a bit before I buggered up my son's ski rope. I have helped out a lot of stranded boaters. Glad karma came back around like it should.
Lot of idiots with all size boats... hopefully this will be a good and safe season...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Lot of idiots with all size boats... hopefully this will be a good and safe season...
Amen, brother!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
...the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer.
Believe it or not, I was drinking my evening Margarita when I read that, and almost lost part of it back through my nose . That's funny, right there.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Ooops, double post. Maybe I've had too much margarita.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
I'll be alright. I'm just glad my prop survived the hit. I also learned that much like removing mileage from old Ferraris, the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer.
I will try to remember that when I am the one with the rope wrapped around my prop.

At least in the places where I boat, the trend seems to be towards more educated people on personal watercraft of all sorts. I have had fewer occasions where I found myself approaching them and giving heated directions as to the safe operation of their craft.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Two quick hits:

Bad: I was Lake Death (Lewisville) and my buddy was taking video... For a few extra style points, I shot the bird at the camera... I dropped and was finished with my run. All of a sudden, a drunk guy on a waverunner who barely spoke English drove up at full speed between the back of the boat and me, over the ski rope. Yes, he could have killed me and was pissed off because he thought we were flipping him the finger from clear across the lake. He has no idea how close my buddy came to clocking him in the head with my ski

Good: I was on Ray Roberts and a waverunner stopped to help me when I was stranded... 1st time out on the lake with my boat... He asked “is the boat in neutral?” Turns out this noob left the boat in fwd gear, then couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t start... lmao

I am glad that I do not have to deal with public lakes, public boat ramps, and waverunners on the lake anymore.

Edit: Waverunners are the reason I am in the ski club now... It was 5:30 AM one morning on Lavon when we almost got hit byu one in the dark.... I was so angry, i found my way off the public waterways and never looked back

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
There are idiots with ski boats and there are idiots with jet skis. I have encountered both. I'm just glad I didn't prejudge these guys, even if they did mess up my water a bit before I buggered up my son's ski rope. I have helped out a lot of stranded boaters. Glad karma came back around like it should.
That's an awesome lesson Doug. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Believe it or not, I was drinking my evening Margarita when I read that, and almost lost part of it back through my nose . That's funny, right there.
Nice!

It made perfect sense in the moment.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMoose View Post
East Texas,
I have to agree with you that there are some jet skiers who are top flight people. I have had a similar experience over the years. I am only willing to be unhappy with the ones who follow a skier or run too close to my boat in an effort to have a wake to jump. These are usually the younger set who don't know water rules or are dumb enough to ignore them.

I say, like you, let's give them all the breaks we can. They may one day have the money to buy a MC. Then they are likely to feel this same way. If we don't spend our time bugging them they will perhaps learn to not irritate others. What say TT?
My thoughts exactly! I guess I really took it for granted when I had a father that knows the rules of the water and actually taught them to me. The problem with the younger generation on the jet skis is not the kids, but the parents. If they are not taught the responsible way to go boating, then they need to learn before they get out by themselves. Unfortunately most of the parents do not know the rules of the water either, so it just gets passed on to the kids.

Our lake cabin is down by a very small bridge, one that my boat cannot go under, but the jet skis can just fine. There is always some kid and occasional adult that gets some thrill from going under the bridge then tearing out of the slough full speed ahead. I need to just throw up an idle speed buoy and see if that helps.

Alabama is one of the few states that requires a boating license, but it is about like getting your drivers license. There are still plenty of stupid drivers in cars and they somehow got their license. I really do love hopping on a jet ski and tearing it up every now and then and kind of would like to have one at times, but I also like to think of myself as one of the considerate ones too.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
In reality, everyone young or old should have to have a class and tests to have a boating license.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...